Thursday, September 10, 2026

Scary Medical Stuff: Ocular Migraines and More


See videos on OCULAR MIGRAINES. I'm too scared to watch any of them. If I see lightening or zig-zags on videos, seriously that can be a trigger. If you want to learn about them, there's information there.

From young adulthood, I had ocular migraines, where one gets flashing lights for about 30 minutes and then a migraine would come. These migraines are very scary. The first sign is being unable to read something. Letters disappear and yes, it is scarier than hell, and you wonder if it's a stroke. There's a blind spot in my vision and it expands to zig zag lights. It lasts for about 20 minutes in my case too like the diagram above shows. Pain comes later. Sometimes light sensitivity will last for DAYS and can be a preceding aura. One day I went out to this local fair, my mobility issues kept me from seeing most of it but some of the animals and other displays and sparkles kept showing up in the sky. Just so everyone here knows, my blood pressure has been running on the low side of normal, so that's not doing any of this. Light sensitivity lasted for days. 

I often have auras, these auras can consist of crying for no reason, once having everything turn green, passing waves of nausea, dizziness  and other horrible stuff. The migraine of two days ago, made me almost puke twice but then I was able to eat later in the day. My migraines have gone through worse periods and less severe periods. They happen more if I push myself.  Just to stay alive lately is pushing myself through fatigue. I'm worried about making dinner on my walker. Even writing this, took forever as I had to shut my eyes multiple times.

Deadlines when as a student triggered them a lot as well as long work hours when I was young. If I see grids or white on black lines, or a flashing light that can be an instant trigger for a migraine. Thankfully they were rare, and they even went away for a few years. They are back and bigger than ever.

I used to get them around would be periods forced by drugs. 

You see I thought OLD AGE was going to cure them. Hmm think again.....

What a joke that was. I used to do things to prevent migraines knowing one was coming by slamming back a giant Pepsi, some caffeine seemed to arrest one, or if was winter running out in the snow. I have put cold water on my face and done all sorts of things to try and stop them. Last week the light problems were so bad, I walked around with sunglasses on indoors. 

It was a rare enough event, that while I could have a lot of them, it was usually only several times a year.

Triggers seem to be:
Bright Lights
Sunny Skies
Too much Screen Time [ironic]
Delaying Lunch or other meals too long 
Aged Cheese
Chocolate--I haven't eaten chocolate in months, or sweets in years to avoid candida
Seeing lightening, flashing lights or grids [real life or on screen]
Heat
Too high humidity
Storms
Fatigue
Low blood sugar--not enough food or a delayed meal

and STRESS!!

I've now have had several in a few week period which is a bit scary.  The light sensitivity and spots in my vision for days preceding one also sucked a few times. The last one I swear was triggered by being on my transcribe phone too much. Sometimes I get dizzy even from the scrolling on that. 

I may have to go see a neurologist if this gets much worse. 

How do I explain to you all how frightening it is to be already deaf, and then unable to see properly at the same time. Last week I had to tell my husband, "I can't see good enough to know what you are saying?" I couldn't see the letters on my transcribe phone! He was driving me home quick as one of these migraines came on.

My weight is going down a bit and sugars have been great, but medically, the fatigue is BAD. I haven't gone to the Senior Center in a long time, both of us just too tired. I've done a few fun art activities and things with friends, but outside of that I'm in bed a lot. Soon I see physical therapists for the pelvic problems. There is a new problem with extreme ear ringing, it's always been bad but has worsened. 



Hmm stage 3 now? It has to be. 

There needs to be research done about late stage Meniere's. My ears have always rung and it always was in the background but I was used to it, now it's gotten loud enough beyond the "stay in the background" stage. This is a new issue I have to address. They are bothering me now, as I write this. One ear has a high pitched whine in it and the other a loud continuous loud hum, think of a refrigerator but upped by 1000 times, with some thunder notes behind it. Is the ear ringing affecting the headaches? 

The fatigue is bad as ever and seems worsening, it's a sleepiness that always seems ever present. I'm using my CPAP as always and my sleep scores are tracked, and there's very few incidents so don't think it's my sleep apnea. I just feel tired. Maybe I need to see if this is influencing the headaches and other symptoms. The mouth sores and other lupus related crud seems never ending. My forehead is a mess. I took pictures of how bad I broke out a few times to show doctors. The migraines seem to be worse with these symptoms. I told doctors, I read that candida is worse from lupus related diseases but they just kind of ignore me. Maybe they don't think there is anything they can do. 

Later I am going to write about weather warfare, that's going to be a longer article, but it will take me some time to write while fighting with my body.  When you are forced to stay home from your dentist appointment because you fear dying, life has gotten hard. That day the real feel was 107 degrees. I didn't even attempt it. It is always humid here too every single day--more on that later, but the above 70 percent humidity seems to do damage to my body too, even if I go out in 78 degrees. My northern state always seems hotter than hell. 

If you get headaches like this, how did you deal with it, does anyone relate to this or has anyone here had extreme ear ringing? Any advice I will take. This stuff is definitely impacting daily life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment