Saturday, October 2, 2010

Say Yes to the Dress: Big Bliss



Say Yes to the Dress, is the TLC program, that shows a large wedding dress shop, where they have made a show out of women selecting their wedding dresses. Well last night, they did their new plus size version.

Some things I noticed:

1. Most of these women were in the 20-26 size range, why couldn't the dresses have been made to actually fit them? Most could not zip their dresses up. Here the dress manufacturers need to actually make the dresses for the real sizes. The majority of the women were apple shaped vs. pear shaped. Any woman with bigger hips would have been even worse off.

2. The staff was very nice and accommodating, of course I found the constant tears and deflated egos, a bit off putting. The thin women cry too out of loving their wedding dress, but what is about TV that always shows fat women bawling their eyes out every two seconds about how horrible and overweight they are?

3. One woman with the square black glasses, had a very over-affected personality, such as if someone was writing a play and wanted to script in, a "tough as nails" outspoken fat "diva".

4. The dresses looked like they just fattened up "thin" women's dresses, I mean for goodness sakes, designing a dress that is "tight" around the stomach area? What fat woman would look good in that? They were far too tailored, and tight, and not enough give. Is this to save money on fabric?

5. I had my wedding dress custom made. Not everyone can afford this or manage that {I sold art to finance it}, but I never got to try on wedding dresses when I was married, I was so far out of the normal sizes, I did design my own dress and got someone to sew it. It had a higher "empire" waist with a full skirt.

6. Watching the ladies choose which dress is always interesting, as well as the reaction of the friends and family.

2 comments:

  1. I notice how they never show women with lipedema or large lower bodies on these shows. Probably because women with lipedema know they can't lose, and don't give the impression of weepy whiny "my tum-meeee!" baby-talk of the hyper-feminine brides.

    I read your post on creepy predatory men going after fat women in terms of feederism and I believe there is some overlap here. Many fat fetishist men often have pregnancy fetishes, vulnerability/illness fetishes, and/or bulimic fetishes. So, they are repulsively turned on by women's stomach fat as it to them represents swelling, discomfort, pregnancy, vulnerability, illness, vomiting, and over-fullness. This type's sadism as not as aroused by fat below the waist (though sadly, there is another disgusting sadist subtype who glorifies in the fat that he is immune to on the ass and legs and exploits vulnerable lipedemic women using the idiocy that "third wave feminism" promotes, that some dude wanting to impale you means you're "valid". EW).

    It's all horrid, and is part of another Milennial trend--,instead of seeing each other as SOULS, let's just assign stereotypes to bodies and then put forth the bullshit notion that "social justice" means seeing each other first as skin colors, genitals, adiposity and ability levels (and all first and foremost as sexxxxy despite marginalization because sexxxay is now everything) rather than view people as individuals, not assumed walking stereotypes based on criteria most of us did not choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I never see women with Lipedema either, even all the plus sized ones, are with all the body weight on top. Not sure why, it seems even some of the full skirted dresses would fit some of the pear shaped women. Hell what do I know, I had to have my wedding dress sewn custom just to have one.
      Yeah I couldn't be the weepy types either they show on those shows. All the women are hyper-feminine too, the majority extremely slender a few midsized types pop up on rare occasion. I figure the majority are very wealthy, normal people don't have 5,000 plus for a wedding dress and even the 2,000-3,000 crowd are at least upper middle class. Bride shows got annoying, so many stereotypes about women, All the Bridezilla crap, now I noticed the Bridezillas were often more overweight hmmmm.

      Hmm that's interesting about the fat fetishes, with pregnancy and other fetishes, I doubt the food thing is the only one. If you are a weirdo who sexualizes food and fat to that extent, won't some other things get put in the mix. I remember the feeders over on Dimensions, yeah they were focused on STOMACH FAT so I think you are on to something here, they were very stomach and abdomen focused, few were extolling the virtues of cankles or batwings. Yes there were a few of the ass and leg ones in the mix. Sometimes you could see which parts where fetishized, with some of the feeder art.

      I get tired of the body being everything. You may like this old article I wrote too.
      https://fivehundredpoundpeeps.blogspot.com/2011/09/body-isnt-everything.html

      [one note for my old articles, I used to be a fundamentalist Christian, I deconverted, and am no longer a Christian [am UU]

      I support social justice, but the kind that commodifies the body, screw that. I am no one's product.

      Delete