Thursday, June 28, 2018

First Sewing Project


It was going to be a dress but I made a tunic out of it. It's a nicer material then what appears in the picture. My next project will probably be a skirt. I am learning to sew to make new clothes. The cost of clothes for supersized people is very high.

A kind friend donated me lots of nice material and another good friend, sewing supplies and thread. Learning to use the sewing machine was a big deal for me and figuring out how to re-thread the bobbins. This shirt took me 1-2 days to make and I had to hand draw the pattern, they don't make patterns for people with my measurements at least on the retail market. I put the shirt over a purple dress I was wearing to take the picture.

4 comments:

  1. I believe it took that long. Sewing is for those who are good at spatial and geometry - and maybe you are, but I'm not and I find making even simple things incredibly difficult. When I've sewed, I do at least as much picking out stitches to try again as I do actual sewing. Nice work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not good at spatial and geometry. The cutting out part is harder then sewing. one strip I just cut probably needs two inches put on it but hopefully with practice I will get better. The sizing is the hardest thing I am facing. Understand needing to pick out stitches. I had to remind myself of inside and outside constantly doing even the shirt. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. https://blog.fabrics-store.com

    There are lots of free patterns here. They go up to 24 but they also have instructions to scale patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am attempting to scale up a pattern now and hoping it works. It's a skirt so hopefully there will be some wiggle room, otherwise I will have to add in some panels of other materials. One challenge I am facing is my table is not big enough to draw out big Peep patterns.

      Delete