Saturday, May 11, 2019

The March of the Republic of Gilead: Abortion and Birth Control

Interesting cartoon, I don't agree with all of it, because the left at least supports women's rights and birth control. Women better wake up because this isn't just about abortion, it's about control, and they want to scale back many gains women have made.

The other day I learned Georgia had outlawed abortion, does this mean better child care or more programs to support these children once they are here? Nope, it's going back to the bad old days of back alley abortions and women dying. What is scary is Ohio too has joined their ranks and Ohio now is even gunning for the birth control. One thing to remember is many fundamentalists claim that birth control pills prevent implantation all the time so it wouldn't be just IUDs on the chopping block. None of these people care, that Available birth control has dropped the abortion rate in America.

The Republic of Gilead and the Dominionists are on the march. As a Christian, I never gave a dime to the pro-life movement, I was too troubled by my own personal circumstances. They also were really against birth control which never made sense to me. In my old fundie small town, I knew some avid prolifers, they would ask me for money for donations and I would say "No." Abortion to be frank, is a topic I avoided like the plague. Inside, I knew women had complicated health problems like me. I knew many abortions were from economic fears and survival issues. I knew some women had babies dying in utero or with severe birth defects. Of course all my churches preached abortion was wrong. 

I was told I would die if I got pregnant by three different doctors in my early 30s. One doctor even told me I should not even take the risk of having sex, that's how extreme it was. With PCOS. fertility is limited but possible.  So birth control issues always were scary ones for me especially when I was forced off birth control pills in my early 40s. I also was on a drug Spironolactone which immediately causes birth defects. This drug was for heart and hormonal issues. It helped my congestive heart failure and also lowered the testosterone that messed me up via severe PCOS and androgen disorders. I was forced off it for kidney issues around 7 years ago. I was mostly infertile but doubling up on the birth control most of my life just in case one of my troubled ovaries decided to pop an egg at an inopportune moment. In my case, I never became pregnant in my life. 

I too was technically against abortion like the other fundamentalists, but lived in a strange area of extreme cognitive dissonance as I pondered my own possible demise.  There was no way I was going to join the pro-lifers on their marches at Planned Parenthood. I once got accosted outside a Planned Parenthood clinic by some protesters. I was there for birth control as they screamed at me, "Don't kill your baby!" It was a bit traumatic.

After my deconversion, I started listening to the arguments of those who wanted abortion kept safe, rare and legal. Too many Republicans and religious leaders didn't give a damn about the health needs of women or taking care of the babies once they were here. Places like Finland, because of sexual education, and available birth control had their abortion rates drop to very low levels. What's going to happen here? They are busy repeating the mistakes of 50-100 years ago.

This is just one issue, but I sometimes want to throw up, seeing this country regressing. Abortion was a topic that was dealt with 40 years ago. Abortion rates fell. I knew unlike the 1980s even, that far fewer teens were getting pregnant. They were figuring out the birth control. Many young girls were going on birth control even before having sex. The Patriarchy wants to do away with birth control too. Yes the birth control that would stop the need for abortions. Oh and don't forget these "pro-life" states have the death penalty as the penalty for abortion on the books now too.

They Do Want to Subjugate Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment