Saturday, June 8, 2019

Neo-Liberals


My local community is again up to no good, it concerns oppressive actions against people of color. I don't want to give details since I don't want to share where I live, but it has to do with local megacorporations, extremely wealthy people, seizing of land, and trying to drive a predominantly black and poor population out. What was scary is I saw people discussing things on Facebook and almost all ouside of the poorer community were defending the local megacorporation and extremely wealthy. Some wrote, "They donated money to the poor!"  I thought does that give them carte blanche to do what ever they want?  I found myself kind of horrified to watch implicit racism coupled with Ayn Rand inspired worship of the extremely wealthy and powerful in many of the comments. I live in a very conservative community, and sometimes it gets to a person. Empathy seems to have disappeared. Even some of the Democrats here, seem to be teamed up with the ultra-wealthy. I found myself thinking as they defend oppression of the most poor, don't they realize that's coming for them? I live in an area where the economic divides are growing even more extreme. The growing poverty here has me deeply concerned. Maybe that's all of America now.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you have to see gentrification in action and that Democrats and liberal politicians betrayed poor people and the people of color, especially African Americans and Latinos. I hope people in your area will win the fights against gentrification and activists are not giving up.

    I would like to recommend you to read "The Color of Law" book written by Rothstein (I do not have his first name in my head). This book would give you background information on the housing laws in the United States and explain some of the reasons why gentrification has been occurring. Maybe it will help you to know what was going on so you could make convincing arguments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks anon, I will check that book out. The gentrification here is growing bad. I even once asked "How many rich people are there even left to want all these fancy expensive apartments, houses and hotels?" They definitely are betraying poor people and people of color, and these latest actions are designed to push people out of their own community. It is disturbing. I remember in the USA when people pushed for affordable housing and rent controls, I think we need those days back too.

    ReplyDelete