Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Fat Kids More Likely to be Bullied


"Fat Kids More Likely to Be Bullied" Ah tell me about that one. Did someone have to really do a study to figure that one out? I've done blog entries talking about my time in school already. Fortunately my parents didn't punish me if I fought bullies, I dare say my abuse would have been far worse if I couldn't. One thing tell your kid to admit they are fat, say to bullies,"Yeah I'm fat so what?", that can deflate them, but if it gets too bad, teach them to stand up for themselves.

Want to know how many fat kids I saw bullied where even the teachers were okay with it or helped add to the fracas? Quite a few. The article says have fat kids get into extracuricular activities to have them not focus on their weight, but if everyone around them continually focuses on it, how is that going to get better? I found this of interest too:

When we started this study, I really suspected that we might find that the obesity or overweight might not be the driving force," says the lead author of the study, Julie Lumeng, M.D., a professor of pediatrics at the University of Michigan, in Ann Arbor. "What we found is that it didn't matter. No matter how good your social skills, if you were overweight or obese you were more likely to be bullied."


What is scary is there are far more fat kids, and it hasn't stopped the bullying! Maybe the fat kids should team up.

No comments:

Post a Comment