Tuesday, December 17, 2013
"14 Painful Examples of Fat-Shaming"
14 Painful Examples of Fat Shaming
"Blogger Melissa McEwan created the #FatMicroagressions hashtag to start a conversation about the inappropriate and hurtful comments directed at overweight people on a regular basis. Microaggression, a term coined by Professor Chester Middlebrook Pierce in 1970, refers to small acts of aggression towards people of a certain group -- usually those of non-privileged races, classes or ethnicities."
Fat Microaggressions, hmm to me these may amount sometimes to the look you may get while existing in a fat body. Of course one does not want to enter the world of paranoia where you think every person hates you because you are fat but fat micro-aggressions for me would be this list:
1. Chairs with arms and going into doctor offices without any non-armed chairs.
2. Hip restaurants that have all high stools and little uncomfortable chairs.
3. Stores that always stop at size 26 or even 32.
4. People who say at buffets, "That's all you can eat?" One time I ate 2 plates of food at a Chinese buffet, and the owner came up to me and said, "Don't you like our food?" I said, I ate two plates, I'm full, she didn't believe me.
5. Being told if I ate a certain diet, it would fix all my bodily problems.
6. People who don't understand that bodies do not work the same.