Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Fat Conspiracy

"Sorry for any typos or errors, I'm on mobile, but.... Your two primary reasons are wildly incorrect. 

As a medical professional, someone who has studied dietetics and nutrition for the past several years, and someone who has worked on the hill to influence medical policy, I can tell you the primary reason for the obesity epidemic in America lies with whoever is making the most money off of it - and that's a lot of fucking people. 

Almost 50 years ago, when heart disease was on the rise, doctors and scientists alike sought out to find out why. Their result? 

A study with fabricated outcomes, which gave birth to low fat dieting and low fat hysteria. Food companies started replacing fatty ingredients with sugar. Big Corn started producing HFCS to add to these products, and everyone just kept getting bigger. Poor people are more likely to work labor intensive jobs, but they are also equally as likely to be overweight and obese. How can those two statements coexist when we, as a society, put so much emphasis on calorie expenditure? Because CICO is a flawed science and the true cause of obesity is primary food and not "laziness." Keep that in mind when you're thinking about people who are trying to eat and be healthy. 

The influx of sugar in the SAD is toxic, but it's all everyone knows. Now you've got a billion dollar pharmaceutical industry, billion dollar food industry selling "low fat" foods - which (surprise!) cause obesity instead of helping it, Big Corn, Big Dairy, doctors literally getting away with treating people for hypertension and high cholesterol while their patients are still dying of heart disease, and no one thinks... 

Let's go back to the drawing board here! Companies lobby our government to stay relevant. Food companies buy themselves a spot on our food pyramid. The American Heart Association, the one that puts cute little labels on sugary shit cereals, takes money from General Mills, ... ...

 and the public buys into this idea that we, the people, are 100% at fault for the state of our health. It's our fault if we are obese... we must eat shit and not move enough while we are quite literally being sold disease and death. I'm 5'8" and 125lbs, btw. Sorry for the rambling and no links."

  Saw this on a message board. The back lash against size acceptance has worsened over the years with many insisting on CICO even more as the answer to everyone's problems. We have a class war too where scapegoating fat people is part of the game. They are profiting off us. The whole low fat thing did fatten everyone up. It's hard to break off from Big Food too especially if you are poor. I try to buy organic and other foods as much as possible but that said, I am having to use food pantries and that means some mainstream food, and some carbs. We are being sold disease and death in a sick society. 

10 comments:

  1. I agree that processed food is not optimal, and that different people burn calories at different rates depending on many factors. However, every controlled (not self-reported) study I have ever seen points to weight loss from calorie restriction to levels below what a person burns. My experience confirms this. It takes time to adjust to eating less and not being "full" all the time, but it can be done. It isn't necessary to starve, just to be consistent, and to accept that to keep weight off, a lifestyle change must be forever. As I've mentioned here before, I stood by helplessly as my mother died of complications caused by diabetes and obesity. She gave up trying to eat less. The amount of food an immobile person needs to maintain their weight is quite low, and even though she only ate healthy food, it was simply too much. She could have had so many more years, not to mention could have spared herself the years she did have spent in pain. I refuse to let that be my fate, and lowering my calorie intake has made the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't blame your mother. Do you realize now I have to shut down hunger pain all the time even to stay at the "do not gain" level. I tried the adjustment and it never worked myself. I took food down to where I could deal with it. At this point if I die so be it. I've suffered long enough being told dieting would work.

      I just never got the same effects from calorie lowering. My calories are lowered even via involuntary food insecurity all the time. [no extra food in the house or any money to buy any]. Here I don't have as much choice about what the food even is at times.

      There's times lately I don't want to cook anymore and eating is a pain. Old age and illness is bringing me utter hatred of the kitchen. I am sure I will not lose weight. If your mother was so sick, how on earth was she eating all the time? Maybe you are judging falsely how much she ate.

      When you say overeat are you angry she had two eggs at breakfast instead of one? Or did she get out a dozen donuts and scarf them all down?

      One bad thing I am screwed on is doing anything is putting me in bad pain but it was always like that. I would try to exercise, walk for miles, and instead of being built up and getting thinner like other people I just got screwed. Maybe that was the Lipedema.

      I'm still fat. Calorie lowering is like a myth to me. I am glad it worked for you.

      Delete
  2. I was helpless and frustrated with my mom, not angry. She was in constant pain and her problems devasted her quality of life for years. She also needed others to care for many of her basic needs (my father and I were her caretakers). She didn't scarf down donuts. She cooked and tasted as she cooked, and had no concept of portion sizes. Bread, pasta and rice were staples, but vegetables were, too. Still, I'm not anti-carb, but a serving size is maybe 3/4 of a cup or a slice of bread. Anyway, it was horrifying to watch her suffer. She was not of this generation and grew up poor and uneducated (she immigrated). The least a doctor can do with someone whose weight is obviously killing them is test their metabolic rate and figure out exactly how many calories they can eat and lose weight. Do you measure your food and write down what you eat? You can't change unless you change. If you gave eating less a real, consistent chance, such as for a month, your hunger levels would adjust. Hunger is not an emergency, just temporarily uncomfortable. If you truly believe it is unbearable, you need to address it with a doctor or perhaps a therapist. Why would you want to bring continued suffering upon yourself and your caretakers when there is a free solution available to you? You have convinced yourself that your situation is impossible. Is the prospect of feeling better, gaining mobility, and freeing your loved ones from having to serve as your caretaker worth just trying to eat less, even if just for a month at first to try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Metabolic rate? Those websites are an absolute joke, but you're a true believer aren't you and more people will die as they are not believed. I wrote down food since the 1990s. I don't need to JADE with a fat logic true believer. Believe whatever you want about your mother or anyone else. You got to be high if you think fat people haven't tried every diet or "eating less". I have Lipedema IV, maybe learn what that entails before spouting off your BS. My body is full of fluids. I have involuntary food reduction to deal with all the time.

      I am sure if I ate one apple for a meal, I would be told I am too fat and a pig and it should have been 1 fourth of the apple by the likes of you.

      If your mother had vegetables as a staple she was fat for other reasons. Doesn't sound like she was an eating addict. I hope you aren't a narcissist and showed her at least a little bit of empathy but I am doubting it. Your going on about eating less to a woman who has Lipedema speaks to what you are. The diets are failing, what part of that do you jerks not get. You'd probably be boo-hooing if you lived here, and I had to tell you what dinner and lunch were going to be. No extra lattes here or snacks, or bags of almonds to be had.

      Delete
  3. Strangecharm - People's bodies aren't identical. You remind me of the people who tell the clinically depressed, "just smile more! works for me!" Or the people who say, "there's no such thing as a food allergy, I eat everything! Just eat it!" Whatever you have found that works for you, doesn't give you any insight into anyone else's issues. I know you're feeling "helpless and frustrated" and I sympathize. So here's how stop feeling that way: stop trying to make other people solve their own problems with whatever solution YOU deem best. Whatever YOUR PROBLEM IS is not the same problem everyone else has. Take your own advice to free yourself from this need to try to make everyone be like you. YOU need to change if you want to stop feeling helpless and frustrated. And remember, as you said: "You can't change unless you change."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost died from people like Strange Charm. At this point I am not posting anymore of her posts. She can take her "true believer" diet Nazi shit back over to Fat Logic. I feel sorry for her mother, I wonder who the narc really was now. I mean if you aren't going to believe me and don't understand the implications of Lipedema stage IV, go jump in a lake and stop wasting my time. When I started this blog I didn't have the Lipedema diagnosis and I had to put up with endless people like her. Does she think this is anything new?

      There's a new sickness in America, brainwashing, she's got it in spades. Thanks for your post.

      Delete
    2. CICO brainwashed, all dumb as a box of rocks. Population grows fatter and sicker, and still you preach CICO< CICO< CICO. Probably a snob that can buy every dinner from Blue Apron, and horrified at anyone fat eating anything.

      Delete
  4. I love the term non-lipedema weight. I guess that's their new baseball bat for women with Lipedema. Don't you dare try to claim you're swollen with fluids or have a million lipomas. How do any of them know what is regular fat and Lipedema fat. I can't find an area on my damn body that doesn't have hard marbles or golf balls in it except my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that's a brand of nasty that is hard to stomach, probably because of all the dumb and obliviously brainwashed mixed-in. Well you've identified one big health advantage your body has over hers- her head IS full of golf balls! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I'm banning her posts and not putting them up. I'm tired of the dumb and brain-washed. LOL about her head being full of golf balls. I don't need some body Nazi snobs whose bodies work right coming to abuse me.

      Delete