Friday, March 18, 2016

Peep Goes Grocery Shopping




It's mind boggling how much everything costs now. And the healthier it is, the more it costs. Why is that? Is everything so adulterated that they have to up the price on the food? This time around I did not go to the discount grocery store. Some of the foods are okay at the discount grocery store but the meats and some items are not the same quality and there is less choice. I also was not visiting the Mexican grocery store which I go to usually at least once a month for a full week or two worth of food.  So this was an occasional shopping trip to a regular mainstream suburban store:

Some of the decisions and thoughts going through my mind as I grocery shopped today:

1. I can't afford that cereal it's an extra. The lactase milk will cost me at least 3.49. The decent cereals are all 6.00 dollars a box or more.

2. Three bags of broccoli slaw for 5 dollars? Well I'll take two, five dollars is too much to spend on one item. Those 10 for 10 dollar deals are insane and no help to anyone whose not middle class and above because who has 10 dollars for one item to spend.

3. The bag of mandarin oranges was 5.99, it costs the same as Aldis too, well I have a few left over at home, I better wait.

4. $10.00 dollars for a pound of boneless skinless chicken thighs? What do they think we are millionaires? I bought the non-skinless ones and thought well, I'll just cook them down.

5. Why are onions a dollar each now? Are they insane?

6. While looking at some veggie patties and their ingredients to help husband with his gout..."What on earth is mycroproteins? "Mycroproteins are 41% of this product". If I don't know what it is, I don't feel like eating it! Is it something to do with mushrooms? Who wants to have to check scientific manuals while grocery shopping?  I didn't buy any vegetable patties. They wanted 7.99 for a box of ones with recognizable ingredients and I couldn't afford those.

7. Why is there only one roll of frozen ground turkey in this entire store? Did a legion of housewives battle each other to the death for the cheapest meat in the place for 1.99?

8. Why do recipes call for so many ingredients? Basil, fennel, and all that junk is extra money. I was thinking of a bean soup recipe I had seen from the other day to make with some dry beans I had left over.

9. Hmm I just need an inch piece of that ginger to flavor the dish I am planning.

10. This turkey lunch meat is expensive too, but it tastes far better then that salt-filled stuff I buy at the discount grocery store. Maybe I'll bloat up less.

I ended up buying a bag of carrots, celery, 1 large round turnip to use for a soup, a head of lettuce, a piece of ginger, 2 things of green onions, 2 bags of broccoli slaw, some cheap eggs, some organic eggs, a pound and half of turkey lunch meat, whole wheat bread, chicken thighs, a small piece of beef to cut up for stir fry, a couple other meats, a small piece of pork to do the same, lactase milk, cottage cheese, other chicken,  bean thread noodles, a hunk of real parmesan cheese, a box of spaghetti, a big bag of those little peppers that are red orange and yellow, one green pepper, husband's frozen French fries--I'm allergic to potatoes, European brand butter--it was cheaper then regular, mayonnaise, salad dressing, canned tomatoes, shampoo, toilet paper and detergent. It sent us back over 100 bucks. Grocery shopping isn't easy. I know it is getting harder and harder for people out there. I have to cook a lot, and frozen foods make me feel crummy. The only aisle of the grocery store I go out of the perimeter for is when I bought the spaghetti and canned tomatoes.

12 comments:

  1. I think I ate a rotten avocado that I recently bought, I didn't know what an avocado was supposed to be like. It tasted terrible but due to it being one of the superfoods that blast cholesterol, and I found it on sale I took it, and ate it. The next avocado I bought was much nicer, then I wondered did I eat a rotten avocado? Was the store selling rotten food? And just putting it on sale?

    The superfoods are rather expensive, except for the oatmeal. and the margarine that I have to use is very expensive, compared to the rest.

    I walked out of the store with 3 bags of food that came to almost 74 dollars. And white meat chicken is way more expensive than even steak. And the price of fish is very expensive. 18 dollars for two pieces and it won't even feed the both of us.

    I want to go and shoot a rabbit, but I need a hunting license for that and that is big bucks. There was never a cost to hunting small game, but that all changed. I like eating rabbit, and it would be very good for me, but its too expensive to get one ourselves.

    I just don't know how a store can sell rotten food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes all the superfoods are expensive. Avocados go bad easily and I've gotten black ones from the store without being careful, when they go off they taste horrible. Some of the stores do sell rotten food. I have to be careful with one grocery store and their meat that seems to go constantly off quickly. Yeah we got 4 or 5 bags for 125, it all costs too much and a lot of time, it's hard to figure out what to eat and I wish I had mney for a lot more vegetables. That stinks about not even being able to hut rabbit without big bucks required. Yes they have made everything too expensive. Yeah they sell rotten food, I have learned which ones to be careful at, that's for sure.

      Delete
  2. Hi peep,
    I follow you nearly daily, but am commenting for the first time. I wanted to comment the other day about that delicious-looking salad, but didn't feel up to it. I'm going through my own family dramas after years of no contact, all of the same sorts of things and feeling as you. I am glad you have decided to take yourself away from the hurt, the situation is obviously not going to change for reasons us Acons know so well, but it still hurts. I am exiting my own family again after decades at a time of no contact and they decided to re enter after a death in the family. Boy, I really wish they hadn't, it didn't pan out well for me at all! But I recently realized it was because we were reconnecting with completely different goals in mind. I assumed they had reached out for the reasons they gave, but they had other interests!
    Anyway, the reason I am writing is about your grocery shopping. I use to only use the perimeter of the store too, until I discovered the frozen vegetables and fruit at Costco. We too only shop once a month. I use to have so much waste and work chopping. The quality of these veges and mixed bag of dole fruits for smoothies are ecxellant and there's no waste! The veges are $6.00 a bag and they last all month. They are way bigger than what you can get at the regular grocery store. We buy one broccoli, one mixed vegetables cut small, one mixed large cut and a bag of peas. We make smoothies with the frozen fruit, if you add a banana for sweetener and just enough water to mix it comes out like ice cream! We get a lot of nutrition for the $30. Just wanted to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon, thanks for commenting for the first time. I am glad you are going no contact again, its too bad they dragged you back in but understand how that can happen. Yeah it hurts, I had to realize there is no fixing any of it and the same junk kept repeating itself. Hope you do well on this NC, but yes they warn on some ACON blogs not to let funerals and death suck you back in. It can be a vulnerable time. Thanks for the Cosco advice. I am not sure if we have one around here but will see if there is one in a neighboring area, it may be something to look into for cheaper vegetables.

      Delete
  3. The more unadulterated it is the more money it costs. Why is it the less additives they put in it, the more it costs?You'd think it would be the other way around.I think they're trying to kill us. Of course I don't know who they is but..
    It's easy to peel the skin off the chicken before you put it in the pan. So,you can save a little money there.
    A great remedy for gout is about a half teaspoon of baking soda in 3/4 cup of water. Suck that down. Do it again in a couple hours. It sucks the gout crystals or whatever they are right out of your system. It's not a cure just a temporary relief for some. OF course I'm not a doctor so don't take my advice too seriously..I did get gout once from a medication though. Ouch! Don't do it if you have high blood pressure or heart disease though..
    There did I put all the proper warnings lol!
    Most of my money gets sucked for groceries. It's horrible..
    Suki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the healthier stuff all costs a LOT more and has LESS in it sometimes. Well the adulteration I guess is to hide the lack of flavor in the bad food they are trying to sell. I think they are trying to kill us off too, population control agendas? Well even Europe and other countries are spared constant GMOs, and other chemicals put in the food. Agree about peeling the chicken, I can cut them up too, so have even bought whole ones and chopped them up though it's harder for me physically. Thanks for gout. I know black cherry juice can kill gout, when we had more money we would drink some concentrated black cherry juice diluted but now they want 20.00 bucks per bottle. I used cider vineger to dampen some of the kidney stones down but the uric acid took over me too. I have it from high stage Lipedema. Yes groceries cost too much and the prices are going up up up, while wages and pay remain a joke.

      Delete
  4. I didn't find cherry juice to be very effective.But, I wouldn't advise baking soda with Lipedema.
    Additives are also to extend shelf life and to be fillers and binders when they don't want to use real ingredients.
    Suki

    ReplyDelete
  5. The food you bought would be a month long feast for a family in some parts of the world. I'm not saying it to put you down, just to remind you that as bad as you have it (and I agree you have it tough), there are people who have it worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the foods will go through the whole month like the eggs, butter, cheese hunk--parmsean goes a long way, and some of the meat I broke down and froze and it will be for later, but it's true there's some people living on rice and beans or one chicken piece is being used to flavor a huge pot of rice to be shared. I've even had it far worse before in the past myself so know it can be far worse in the rest of the world. This was a good run where while I was frustrated with the prices, it meant for even higher tier meals for us.

      Delete
  6. Narcs will tell you about those who have it worse in China, India or South Africa (my adopted narc mother's favorite examples to use when she shamed me). The pernicious DARK Act 2.0 lost several days ago because activists like me and some of 93% of Americans who want GMO to be labeled has been signing petitions and calling, calling, calling non-stip.

    I will pray that organic and non-GMO food food will be affordable sooner sometimes this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I get tired of being told how "good I have it" I hope this was a sincere poster and not one of my old narcs sneaking back on. One kept telling me how great life is an America and was wealthy enough to go 8,000 miles overseas to begin with. Another told me as I literally was suffering in the worse severe poverty in Chicago and was at an extreme weight, that others were starving in the third world. I guess us Americans are supposed to be smiling in our gutters. At least the third world still has each other and knows how to hunt, fish and forage food and doesnt have giant bills that never end.

      I have admitted now is better then it was. They never broke out in tears because there was nothing to eat for lunch AT ALL. People with healthy decent bodies can fast or go without food easier too, compared to what they have done to us in America. I sometimes think life in foreign countries would be better, even if some lack for basics, they are not as alone in their poverty or constantly shamed in a sea of supposed affluence. I wonder how we will function without a car soon when neither of us can walk. I remember my days being forced to hitchhike and now I am not so young. I am glad the evil DARK act lost, sometimes the system works but I hope the activists do not give up or our rotten politicians don't sneak it through.

      I agree about affordable decent food.

      Delete
    2. http://fivehundredpoundpeeps.blogspot.com/2016/03/our-bus-system-does-not-work.html?showComment=1458512467674#c6335930710640285413

      Read comments here about the third world...

      Delete