Saturday, August 6, 2016

The New Way to Cook



I notice the wealthier people I know on Facebook are using services like "Home Fresh", "Blue Apron" and more.  60-70 dollars for three meals is a lot of money. Why not just eat out then? I only eat at restaurants--not fast food, where I can get two meals for under 20 bucks which isn't often. I have fed us for 60 dollars for an entire week though 100 a week for two is the normal amount. These services seem very expensive to me and wasteful too with the packaging and needing food shipped across the country. How do things stay refrigerated? Is UPS bringing this stuff? I don't know.

 These services would never work for me even if I could afford them. This may sound funny coming from someone as fat as me, but I am a very picky eater beyond the allergies, there are a lot of foods, I simply don't like.

 I don't like to follow recipes when I cook. When I cook it's all off the top of my head. This week, I cut up half a cabbage, 1 large zucchini and an onion and sauteed it and made soup out of it with some tomato sauce and seasonings added. Another day I chopped up these boneless skinless chicken thighs, a orange pepper, and some green onions, mixed it with rice noodles soy sauce, sriracha and some scrambled eggs.  Even for my own food, there's no following the same exact way every time. I had to learn long ago to cook with what I have though sometimes I worry I have to spend too much time cooking as it is. The blood sugars are always better when I have cooked it seems no matter what it is.

That is something sad about American society where people don't have the time to go to the grocery store and assemble and plan the meals.  It's true in my case there is a lot more time, to cook though my energy is lower. I told husband I hope this won't put grocery stores out of business where the class divisions get bigger. LOL maybe that is too out there. If I am going to do the work of cooking, I want the creativity with it and preferred foods.

Has anyone ever used one of these services?

5 comments:

  1. I used to be a macrobiotic cook! I was so creative with it. Somehow Asian type cooking was so natural to me. I am a horrible cook with the type of food I grew up with. But it was really time consuming, I made my own tempeh, seitan and tons of other stuff from scratch. Nothing is more nourishing than natural home cooking. Unfortunately for me I became ill with something I could not beat and was too tired to cook for myself for so long. Then the illness affected me so I couldn't eat a lot of the foods when I got a little more energy.
    People made fun of me for spending so much time cooking and eating a really natural diet, while they would sit around and drink soda and eat packaged junk. It was insane. I was eating real food that people are meant to eat.
    Good for you for taking the time and energy to cook from scratch. It is creative and very healthy of you!
    For me it is back to a boring diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cook a lot of Asian food, though not macrobiotic. I am familiar with macrobiotic cooking though. Cooking does take a lot of time. I have 1-2 days off when I am not keeping up but even tommorow I am planning more cabbage and zucchini soup. I plan to do some chicken and rice noodles again too but with some grated zucchini it--yes I got a lot of zucchini from the food pantry, LOL Yes being ill can impact the cooking. I feel for you. I have some days I miss or where we get food out--no fast food, this would be some real food like chicken taco from taquiera. I did develop techniques to work around my disabilities with the cooking. I do a lot of prep cooking and dividing the cooking up into different tasks but I know sick enough even that goes by the way side. Hope you feel better soon and your diet gets less boring.

      Delete
  2. They way you guys cook has me exhausted just thinking about it, lol. I started adding spinach to salads and I noticed my junk food cravings are not so much. As such we are eating spinach everyday. Nowadays, since my cholesterol levels are so high I make salads the main dish. Last night it was just some moose cut up in a sauce, after being seared in a frying pan, thrown in the oven with potatoes. Then there was this huge salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit sometimes I do get tired, and when I run out of food, it's like I have to make magic out of nothing and the good stuff goes first. Spinach is a good food, glad your junk food cravings have gone down. Sometimes my daily routine just wears me out, all the medical stuff, is overwhelming and I haven't even got started on cleaning or cooking anything. I eat late a lot. LOL How does moose taste, I've never had that one. Glad you had a salad with it. I do buy those big boxes of salad greens to make salad making easier.

      Delete
    2. Moose tastes great. Very lean, not like domestic cattle, but if someone is not into wild food, I think they would eat moose.

      Delete