Friday, April 13, 2012

Losing 4 inches in height



It's now affirmed at two different doctor offices and me standing next to the height measurer by the door at the local DMV when I and my husband renewed the car registration. I am only 5'7. Why is that scary? Because I was 5'11 and a half for years! I am sure of that measurement having had it taken at school and other doctors. Some years ago, I kept thinking I am getting shorter, I noticed my sister who I was taller then for a long time, looking taller then me.

How on earth did I lose 4 inches? One snarky doctor said, the fat had compressed my spine. Can anyone tell me, does this happen to seriously fat people? This article says height loss with age is normal, but 4 inches seems pretty excessive for someone my age. An osteopath did tell me that I likely have osteoporosis in my neck especially due to the years of steroid use for asthma and the thyroid and endocrine problems.

I think people's bones are suffering from lower nutrition too.

4 comments:

  1. Me too. I was 5' 7" and now am 5' 6". Not as dramatic though it is strange. I've had bone scans done though and they are fine. ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some small amount of height loss is normal especially if you are getting into the middle aged years. I do worry about how immense mine is 4 and half inches is a LOT. I need to discuss this with my doctor when I see them. One friend suggested weight bearing exercise. I do some with cans over the last year, but my hump on my neck and back seems to be getting worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I have no idea how old you are, but my father lost a significant amount of height in recent years (he's sixty), going from 6'3" to 6'1" to maybe even six foot even.

    With him, I think it was a combination of the arches in his feet falling and his spine compressing a bit.

    Four inches *is* a lot, though, especially if you aren't that old. Perhaps with you it is about insufficient bone density, and I do think you're right about nutrition. Do your feet seem to have changed? It may be that at your weight, especially if you've had jobs that required you to be on your feet all day, that your arches have fallen too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your experience,s on height loss . 4 inches I have lost also and I was worried but not now Thank you once again . Stay Golden 🌟

    ReplyDelete