Saturday, November 7, 2020

My Return to Size Acceptance


 My views have changed about size acceptance since the deconversion. Let's just kind of sum it up that religious fundamentalism which I deconverted from muddied the waters. There was always that cognitive dissonance for me, in standing up for fat and disability rights, in a religious system that seemed to preach against them at every step.  After all I was the "sinner" who deserved what I got, instead of questioning reality. There's a clash there. It's better to be in the place where I can stand up for myself freely without those religious boulders on my back.

The traditional diet and weight loss world takes a negative toll on psyches. Fat people are walking around with their heads down, shamed to the max and denied a place in society. Forget that!

I had a life time already of being invalidated about my hunger levels, exercise levels and physical problems when it came to eating. I did end up removing myself except for rare posts on the Lipedema boards. Why doesn't it occur to these folks, it does to some doctors and researchers, that fat hatred has worsened the treatment of Lipedema and is one reason so many of us remain undiagnosed for YEARS and our condition getting worse.

Imagine if I got the help I needed at stage one and where the co-morb autoimmune and endocrine problems could have been dealt with. Maybe I could have avoided full disability. Lay that one at the feet of fat bigotry. So when I see the Lipedema world tied to diets, I feel doubly and triple betrayed, they caused my problems to begin with. What's worse is when I described the very bad effects of Keto, and I have known other people having serious problems with it, having vision and digestion problems in my case, people are called liars and dismissed. Didn't we get enough treatment like that before when we were all told we were lying about not being able to lose weight?

The constant drum of self hatred and desire to conform among the far smaller lower stage Lipedema women took a toll on me. It was not healthy and I got away from it. Size acceptance or fat liberation simply was unknown in those circles except by a few.

I figure at this age, the weight loss dreams are over.  The candy days of being thin, will never exist in this life. The main goals are to maintain what mobility and nutrition I can.  I am looking into genetic testing, and have discovered there are groups researching this, though I worry about "big pharm",  it may bring me more answers. Hopefully I can get a doctor to sign off on one program I found for genetic testing. I am tired of apologizing just for existing. Size acceptance probably helped me on multiple levels where the fat haters of the world didn't crush me to nothing. I do regret my being trapped in the religious delusions, as I couldn't enjoy all of fat acceptance's benefits.

I know my body never worked like other people when it came to food or weight even beyond the Lipedema. My hunger levels are far higher. I eat meals like normal people. I know this body could easily return to 700lbs and do it fast. My metabolism makes absolutely no damn sense. I have had extreme fear of weight gain from Covid and basically being locked in my apartment, unable to walk around to shop or to do things. I do these exercise routines on Comcast TV, saying "workout" into the voice remote, and try to do 20 minutes combined, at least a few times a week. I have to do it today fearing more weight gain. Also if I don't move around enough I will get sick.

How would you feel if you have lungs from hell, and have to go out into the plague ridden world, avoiding people, just to keep your mobility?  Remember in my case if I catch Covid, that's it. I have severe COPD. One day due to a weather change, my lungs checked out, I couldn't even walk into the living room without extreme shortness of breath, I thought I had "caught it" but had no fever and cough and than realized "Oh it's my COPD, the temperature dropped by 40 degrees!" Sometimes I get angry that undertreatment for my COPD adversely affected my life. You all do realize, I couldn't even breathe right even to have the ABILITY to exercise before I was put on a strong nebulized COPD medicine around 3-4 years ago.

I know some women with similar health problems to me, who haven't dared leave their homes since March at all, and I understand, but in my case this means losing mobility and not be able to walk anymore. I have to go somewhere today to make myself walk somewhere and do an exercise routine as well. The other day, some woman stared at me from her car at a park, ambling around on some grass and lumpy ground on a walker but at least there weren't any humans to run from. I went out to parks, actually liking when it was a bit colder or rainy, knowing it would mean less people. If it were up to me, I would sell everything and leave the country just to be able to walk around and do things freely. I wonder why the theme of this life has always been being "locked down".

 All I managed to do was keep the weight on the same baseline [I am within 5-6lbs of what I weighed last year as of two weeks ago] but had this terror inside I could gain 50 or 100 locked down like this and lose mobility and that fear still exists.  I would wake up, and think things like "Don't eat!" but give in to the hunger. With Covid too, there's this issue of wanting to keep food stores, what if there is no food soon as society crashes or money runs out? I find myself wanting to hoard everything.

There's a point where you know you are fat and you know for life you will be fat, and maybe the better way of life would be dealing with it, the best you can. All fat people are told to live for the day they are "thin" but that's lie too.  The best you can do is do what you can for your health, and let the chips fall where they may.  Fat people shouldn't have to live in misery for their whole lives for not fitting in and being told because you are fat, and that you are supposed to suffer. The diet world was like religion full of endless false promises and lies. For me, none of it worked.

By the way I miss the gym, it did help my lungs, and for me to feel better. How can I ever rebuild that stamina back up? It took guts to show up to a gym on walker. Going to the gym was "fun" for me. Of course they took that away too. The gym is reopened but I am too afraid to go there as Covid is spreading like wildfire in my local community. I was able to enjoy the gym, separating it from weight loss. I know that sounds weird, but the exercise had benefits and brought happiness to my life. I miss lifting weights and the arm bicycler and grabbing that one rope to pull and using their hand weights.

So I have returned fully to the size acceptance world, even NAAFA seems like they have changed for the better, though their presence seems more online, than in any real world chapters. I even consider rejoining it. I have gone to a few webinars with fat activists and groups and have noticed among the young, there seems to be far more enlightenment. I didn't offend bringing up my issues with size acceptance and there is more intersectionality with issues of class, honesty about the impact of fat admirers, promotion of LBGTQ rights, and more. A lot has changed. Things got better. Free of the religious baggage, my mind did change on some issues and my view of size acceptance was majorly altered, that's the best way I can explain it.

10 comments:

  1. Not sure if weight loss is a goal, but if it is, I can relate what I do. I follow a "keto" diet but not the way most Americans do keto. Sure I eat eggs and meat and fish (already divergent here because Americans don't eat much fish) but instead of "keto" ice cream and "keto" hamburger buns or whatever noise, I skip all that stuff and just eat whole foods. So I'll sautee some vegetables and then stir-fry 4 oz. of beef and put that on top and that's dinner. NO sodas, fruit juices, Starbucks frappes, none of that. The idea is you learn to count carbs on www.reddit.com/r/keto and keep your carbs below 50g a day.

    I'd been 40 lbs overweight and it was not a good look because I'm not very tall. On my keto thing I lost 1 lb week but the thing is, I kept it up. Imaging losing 50 lbs over a year, which is slow, but they stay off.

    I love veggies, and that's a big difference between a lot of what you'll see on r/keto they'll rave about the newest "Halo Top" "keto" ice cream and I'm proud to say I have no idea what the stuff tastes like and no interest.

    I'll seriously be your "recipe buddy" if you want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you eat pretty healthy. I eat a lot of eggs, I am allergic to fish, and can't eat beef or much red meat [kidney stones] I have increased vegetables but keto with no carbs is hard to deal with. I do think I need to reduce carbs, if you can share recipes I am all for it. I once got Halo Top ice cream, from a food pantry and it was such a chemical melody, I threw it into the trash. I loathe fake food. One thing that worries me is how whenever we have less food or I don't feel like spending a lot of money on it that week, blood sugars always rise, can't figure that out. It's irritating. I know you probably would have at least financially doable recipes. Vegetables always disappear fast around here, I know I am going to feel the vegetable stand closing.

      Delete
    2. I guess I make it sound easy, but I'm not up against the kind of obstacles you are. No food allergies, and pretty physically fit because I have to be - if I can't do warehouse work and ride my bike for miles and miles a day I'm sunk.

      Blood sugars going up when you fast is weird. I'd so some research on that.

      Delete
    3. I am going to pursue getting some genetic testing related to severe obesity. I found a free study. I have always wondered why my hunger levels are so extreme even beyond what the insulin resistance/PCOS would be responsible for and how high of a weight I maintain, even with the severe Lipedema, conducive to the number of calories I intake.

      I figure at this point, no thin days are coming, I try to keep mobility. I wish I could be back in the gym.

      I got busy with something today but know I have to exercise some tomorrow. Yeah you have to stay fit to survive to work and ride your bike for transportation. Sometimes I want to give up cooking and just ignore food, it's "work" LOL but hunger propels me to go make it. I am kind of scrapping along with food this week, don't want to spend much money. Had eggs at breakfast, a turkey sandwich at lunch with salsa, banana and some chicken pasta salad, apple [probably too many carbs today--notice when I spend less money seems things get too carby] I have hunger pain right now. It sucks. I have to ignore it for sake of the blood sugars tomorrow morning. This mornings was 129, yesterday I went into a low at 5am [woke up, blood sugar 90 something, I ate kind of a disinterested smaller dinner with rice, veggies and some sausage was distracted with something else] That's a new thing where there's some lows popping up. Went into the 80s. I did increase insulin since a recent illness buy three points.

      Dieting for me is physiologically unmanageable at a certain point. The last dessert food I ate, was I ate a 2 bites of chocolate cake [husband's] three weeks ago. I don't drink juice. Recent blood tests point to full anemia and malnutrition again, and I was eating tons of veggie stand vegetables all summer. I cooked a small pumpkin to make soup with tomorrow, and probably will make chicken salad with left over chicken breast for lunch between two of us. Dinner may be 1 pork cut let each, broccoli and rice or rice noodles with veggies, mixed in. I always eat eggs for breakfast. Cereal etc, is all rebound food I am wasting time to even eat. LOL Yeah I should google why would blood sugars go up the less you eat?

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're finding some renewed purpose in your size and various pieces of disability work, Peep. I'm also glad to see that NAAFA has moved on from the more dubious aspects that we witnessed so long ago -- I thought a lot of that was not so cool, though there were some cool people associated with it, as I recall. Maybe you could do a zine just based on that, maybe taking some of the stuff from your book? Just a thought, because there was a lot of good material in it, and I'd hate to see it go to waste. Or maybe you could update what you have, I don't know. God knows, the workings of straight society and the diet industrial complex aren't so cool, anymore than they were back then. Love -- Mr. Peep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like the fat admirer hold on NAAFA has eased up, in one webinar they did talk about how too much focus got on dating and the rest. I think younger people could change NAAFA for far better. The focus seems less how do I put this "hedonistic" and more with reality. Married and non-hetero people did feel excluded in NAAFA. Probably POC too to a certain extent. There does seem to be efforts for massive change I appreciated. I do think we need fat liberation back big time. I've written a little about the diet focus in Lipedema. Diets never worked for me as you know. I thought of revisiting the book you know and updating it. I would have a lot more to say now. I just argued with some fat bigot on reddit, I notice my weight is thrown in my face even on non-applicable topics. I guess you know why I have a more neutral name on reddit too. I hope NAAFA will start honestly talking about class issues too. One thing remember how all their meetings were in those far flung suburbs we barely could get too. When the focus turned to the needs of fat admirers more than the needs of the fat people in the group, that was a major problem. That seems to have waned. I was glad.

      Delete
  3. Dear Peeps, i seriously believe, a significant part of the problem is the buck-ugly, impractical, uncomfortable clothing that, women especially, have few other options than to settle for.
    Thin women can - sort of - get by looking like robotic urchins, but even so...bluuck!
    In short, people weigh what they weigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I special order my clothing, loose long dresses, from a company called Sanctuarie. Maybe you could order clothes there Sue, though I don't know your size, they do go down to 1x

      https://www.sanctuarie.com/

      I think most mainstream clothing is impractical and uncomfortable too.

      Delete
  4. Dear Peeps, thanks, will give Sanctuarie a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like it, the dresses are far longer than anything I can find anywhere else. I'm supersized I don't want a dress that shows everything to the world when I bend over. You can get the dresses extra long too.

      Delete