Monday, November 9, 2020

The Things I Can Not Fix

Covid is not doing wonders for my mental health. I really needed this time to be able to live life and find happiness. I was just getting started trying to "re-find" my life. I loved art class, going to the UU and stamp club.  I had met new wonderful people at my UU. We had gotten another car, and I was eager to do day trips again and explore many places I was interested in.

I feel angry and upset, and feel like I may as well be in county prison. Oh I have tried to make the best of it, doing tons of Zooms, cooking food from scratch, doing some art work, reading a lot of books, and spending time with husband, but it's dragging me down. Covid is exploding like crazy in my local area, and the hospitals are filling up.  That's scary. At least Trump did not win, I would be despondent at this point. Biden is not perfect but is far superior.

I will never accept most Republicans to my dying day, so many seem to be horrible people who just seem out to destroy us all.  Their quest for self destruction should be researched by sociologists everywhere. My state is literally now being destroyed by their actions. I know Biden wants to unify the country to quell violence, but I think too much compromise with these non-empathetic creatures has put us in this place to begin with. I will never understand people who want everyone to do nothing but suffer. I hope the Senate flips to Democratic in the upcoming weeks or we are all in trouble. 

If not for my husband, life would have very little meaning at all at this point. I have begged him to leave to be anywhere but here. He is more practical than I am knowing taking a severely disabled woman overseas would be fraught with problems. If it were up to me, I would sell everything off and get out of Dodge just to be able to talk to someone without a mask in a coffee shop or to walk down a street without feeling like the Grim Reaper is chasing me. I had daydreams about being down at a dock begging to go on a boat to go overseas. I shouted to husband, "Screw this place, lets go to Taiwan, they've kept Covid under control!"

Even our library had Covid affect it, and while we didn't have contact with this library worker who had Covid, we are safely past the two week mark too, even the small pleasure of going to the library is now erased and I know if the place re-opens I can't risk it. Bills are growing huge too, especially the food bill. I told husband, "I don't want to get food this week, let's just scrounge, I'll cook these old pumpkins and use up some of the freezer burnt meat from April", but he is not for that. I know he will insist on getting some groceries.

We have this big internet bill to pay with the money he managed to make this week at gig employment. His work has been decreased massively, there's SOME, but state unemployment is only so much compared to federal. I find myself thinking of all these people not able to pay rent, our is paid with my Social Security, and think unless Biden comes up with a real plan, we are going to see millions in the street. I can tell homelessness is already growing around here, everytime we leave our "well off neighborhood" we can barely afford.

This one man had a neighbor over that we know, and had to quarantine from his work for two weeks because the neighbor informed him he got Covid just a day or so later.  Psychologically it seems people would be unable to cope and would be having nervous break-downs. Are the psych wards even open?

If I get Covid it is a death sentence, which makes the few times I do go out for "mobility" and to eat some hot food in the car in front of a take out restaurant feel like high risk. This has killed all pleasure in life, and I'm worried about cracking up. Severe internet, TV and sleep addiction are my reality. A lot of my life is planned around TV shows, and today's TV watching agenda includes Fargo, Evil Lives Here and some Nova ordered up on Comcast. How are single people surviving their long bout of solitary confinement?  I have dealt with depression most of my life, so know what to do, but winter is when my SAD and what I call "December Depression" gets rolling.  What's going to happen this year. Maybe being numbed out will help. 

 I married someone who has a lot of fortitude, this is probably a good thing. We tell each other jokes. He is a homebody and seems to find the isolation to be like a protective cacoon as long as he has me to talk to. He still goes to the store too much but at least does it late at night to avoid people. Maybe he thinks this is nothing compared to the stories his parents told him of surviving in the woods and stealing food to eat in World War II. He was less enthused to leave America, and is probably relieved that with a Biden win, this takes the issue more off the table. 

Covid has shoved my lack of close social connections into my face.  Before Covid, I was talking to husband saying, we are too isolated, we need to fix this. We have lots of long distant and other friends but here, there's too few. I was so dependent on groups and social activities for my real life social interaction. I know being almost deaf, this disabled, and this autistic affected my social standing, but it makes it more ornerous now. 

There's the odd thought that my isolated life is a protection, because I have no close local friends to offend by not having them over, there's less risks of Covid19. The UUs kept masks on and outside that I saw.  One friend who lives far away but used to visit all the time, for acouple of days, I think understands my high risk, but that feels like another loss with those visits and activities gone.

It made life more family dominant, and made my lack of close local friends even harder to deal with.  I have lots of far away and online friends. I am always behind writing emails.  Maybe some people would envy me now as they have their Trumpster, Covidiot, evangelical and religious families demand they show up to Thanksgiving and Christmas and risk Covid germs where for me, there's no worries. Remember the MRSA saga with my family? They had no problem with telling me to put my health at risk. It's doubful they are following Covid protoccols. It is weird to me about how I had thoughts about "plague" and "germs" back then considering what happened now.

The theme of my life seems to be too often "locked down", I yearned for freedom but it seemed everytime I turned around, it was attacked or I was thwarted or locked in a room or sitting as a kid on Summer vacation wanting to go to camp or do activities with the other kids but stuck at home cleaning house. Covid has brought up uneasy feelings about feeling like I am "grounded" and thinking "What in the hell did I do to deserve house arrest?" Some people I know went on a trips, to remote areas. I watched the friend of the "two parties" after Covid, take her sisters and herself to Chicago. She seemed to have no fear traveling around using a multitude of public bathrooms and restaurants. Another Facebook friend runs around and eats inside restaurants without a worry. She has these close friends constantly visit from out of town. I don't want her to get Covid, but envied her lack of fear in being able to run around and do what she wanted.

I thought multiple times of throwing caution to the wind and "living life too" but my CPTSD and anxiety disorders ruin everything. I went once into a thrift store that was too crowded with a mask, people kept walking too near me, it destroyed all the fun of trying to shop 6 months after this nightmare began, and then I was at home worrying about having "caught it". In the background, memories of not being able to breathe from various asthma attacks in the ER would haunt me. The party friend, always had tons of friends too and never was lonely. 

I am struggling with some post-no contact issues that have brought some things to bear. The family is gone, the toxic friends are gone, but I have been struggling in "rebuilding my life", Covid is a massive problem for this. People don't realize this about my personality but it was important for me even with the health problems and housebound times, to explore life and "do things". Some local people even used to comment that I seemed to have a verve for life they envied which may suprise some here. With everything wiped away I am not sure I can cope.

I realize my confidence with people is still very low. I feel like I have so much to hide. People talk about their happy families and activities, and I sit there smiling. They have close friends who are actually in their everyday local life, and I ask why don't I have that? And then I just feel like something has always been wrong with me, and I have had the thought, I can't fix it. I tried. It's hard to write this because I don't want faraway friends to think I take them for granted, but I needed friends too who live close. I needed people to talk to who really KNOW me.  The feelings of being stifled, repressed and more are always there. There's no local friend to cuss with or to talk about how much Covid sucks. Then there were the Trumpster friends I lost from far away. Most of the people here are religious and conservative outside my UU, who can I really talk to and be open with?

There's always this feeling that I am not enough for people I don't think I can ever fix. I threw away the people pleasing, learned to hide my emotions---I am far less abused now,  narcissists and sociopaths always took advantage of them, shut the empath stuff off that only brought me vulnerability and pain, but now I can't get close to anyone. Maybe a lifetime surrounded by so many narcissists and sociopaths destroyed any trust in people.  I have close friends online and long distance, who I can be open with in talking to them about our feelings and life and more, but in real life, it's like I am shut down. I have an inability to be spontaneous, open up or any of those things. Now that I am at home and all social interaction is run by committee on Zoom, I am frozen even more. 

Then there is the feelings of low status, and knowing what the weight and autism have wrought. It seems I have to draw boundaries more than other people or speak up more to be noticed. I notice some people take it for granted that their words will be listened to. They have a niche, they belong.  I envy those people. How do I become more like them? Is it even possible?

I have faced the losses of what the family did to me, and the full picture took years into coming. I now am in my early 50s, a childless woman who was fortunate enough to marry and be happily married but had so many relationships destroyed.  There's empty places where a niece should be, or a sister that cares. I lost the roulette and than some. I do not regret my no contact. I had to go. They were destroying me. They were crushing any dignity that was left. They had no respect or love for me. I think all scapegoats even years deep into their no contact will ask in their private minds, "Why wasn't I loved?", "Why didn't anyone care?" "Why did they reject me?". I faced facts in my case many of mine were simply terrible people, it wasn't me, but that doesn't fill the hole of who should have been there. 

These feelings of rejection I don't think will ever go away. I have worked hard to shut down, trying to "win people over" and teaching myself to harden up and do away with desperate feelings and neediness in relationships I know makes people understandly run but I can't replace the family I should have had. I have felt feelings of grief over what life could have been if I had the right family, the right medical care, and if my life had not been burdened with severe depression and anxiety as a result. 

One false hope one can have is that some outside people may come around after you go "no contact" realizing your hurt was real and there were things you did could not put up with.  This is a fantasy better left avoided. It didn't happen. Maybe this is why I got so angry at a wealthy high status blogger who was able to reconcile with her family and have a sister treat her right for once. I know this will never happen in my case. I still don't agree with her defense of sociopaths and religious views.

They still hoover me, you know, I just don't write about it anymore. I made the decision not to.  I want them to disappear from my thoughts. Time does heal where people become ghosts of the past. They destroyed my life enough, and I knew part of finding happiness was to erase them from my existence. I stopped talking about them to anyone. I had friends of 3 and 4 years duration--one local one moved away, where they never knew of my family or what happened. It was too hard for people to understand and brought me nothing but pain and judgment. I sometimes fear this blog being found by people I know because of the uniqueness of my health problems.  I am old enough to have a deceased family and to have been an only child and that is what I let people believe. 

The hoovering is lessening as the years pass, but it's the same bragging letters--all the young never rebelled and became "high achiever and conforming types"  who dated homeschooled, Republican, religious and very conservative people, so even there no one was like me.  The same checks were written, the same "get back in line" and "why won't you forgive" with no repentence or reconciliation.  I mean why even bother, it's Ground Hog day over and over. 

Even the negative toxic friendships I wasted years and time and energy in were part of this picture. The ex-millionaire friend never cared about me. She actually wrote me a stupid email, asking for old emails from me so she could file a complaint against someone else. She had complained about a "handsy" massage therapist to me, but I had deleted the emails long ago. She never apologized or asked how I was. She took no responsiblity for what happened. I ignored it. 

The other day in a group I belong to on Zoom, there's another woman with my all too common first name, and they kept saying her name and I didn't know if they were talking to me or not, and it created endless moment of embarrasment, and I got tired of it and said "Look there is another person here of that name, you have to distinguish between me and that person!". I had to speak up. It's some of these inequalities that bother me. I don't know if this was malicious intent, and don't think it was, but I worry there is an invisibility to me among other people. Does this kind of thing happen to other people? I worry my fear and anxiety still show despite my efforts to dampen them down. 

I also realized doing videos for one group where I was doing speeches and lectures, that my autism shows and is severe.  This is an accepting group but this was a revelation that almost bowled me over. I worried when I tried to become a teacher that I had issues that were making jobs harder to get. My speeches were well recieved for content and I was told I was a very good writer. I focused on inflecting emotion into my words to make the speeches more pleasing but the autism was more than apparent. This may sound odd but I avoided watching myself on video for years, it used to give me strange feelings I could not cope with.

I am speaking now like a "deaf" person my hearing is so far gone.  They don't offer much help to adults. I am trying to work with a disability support group in obtaining a phone to caption live speech. Zoom has been no help to the point I consider filing complaints. Outside of the hearing issues,  I am in shock, that my autism was ignored, and never treated or dealt with. It is obvious and shows in my speech inflections, where my eyes go and far more. I have myself in a trap I have to dig myself out of. This desire for a normal life and to be treated normally and to have acceptance and belonging. I don't think this is something I am going to be able to fix. Disability rights and learning about ableism has brought me self protection, but maybe I have to adjust my expectations about life. 

There's some damage of the soul murder of being the family scapegoat, I am not sure I can undo. That would sum some of that up. Some  may call me a "forever victim" from their vantage point of high status in this world, but they didn't live the life I have. I was doing everything I could to bring meaning to my life, and change it for the better and trying to impact the world in a positive way. I protested Trump for 4 years. Covid slowed this down, but I am someone who stood up even before it became popular. 

While among more educated people, like in the UU circles I have found more acceptance and understanding it all remains an issue. I have a lot of regrets over the life I should have had. Often asking "Why did it go this way?" I don't believe in God anymore, if there was a God it hurt me so much and was a sadist that should be begging for my forgiveness, any relationship would be forever over anyhow. It's just not that nice to people even if it did exist.   I was refinding my life post no contact and feeling feelings of happiness, hope and an eagerness I hadn't felt for years, and to have this all shut down was a giant blow.  It's another giant disappointment to me I can't even describe the words for.  I can't spare the time or have lost years, because some idiots ate bat soup or a sociopath wanted to "own the libs". 

I don't know the answers now. I have held severe depression back, reminding myself "I didn't choose this." and I had found some happiness for many months before Covid came. I did stand up for myself. I did try to make my life better and the world better too. My husband and I are happy together, that is something I have that many people don't have. I don't know the future yet, but I want the full expanse back, I want to be able to live whatever life I got left. I want Covid to end. 

8 comments:

  1. Hello, Peep,

    I just wanted to take a minute from my work here to try and get your little beak back up. Thanks for saying I have fortitude -- I've heard that before, though not so much lately. Oh, yeah, I forgot -- we haven't been around people so much. :-)

    I'm as social as anyone, but I've had to spend fair chunks of my life alone, as you know (not due to choice), so maybe it's a question of developing the hard shell (turtle shell? maybe I'm digging with you in the sand, too) needed to deal with the things that have been thrown at me. And us, for that matter.

    You should know -- and I didn't get to tell you, and I assume you can just delete this -- but when I was moved to one of the other breakout rooms on Sunday's Zoom service, your namesake mentioned how much she appreciated both our contributions. She said she appreciates both of ours very much, so that tells me we've made a positive impact there. It definitely has helped me, I can tell you that.

    Trust me, it will end at some point. There's lots of work going on with vaccines, though I haven't heard about that angle quite so much lately. A lot of this reminds me of what happened with AIDS back in the '80s -- I remember a similar fog of despair as it first roared through the gay community, and then the world at large. But bit by bit, people picked themselves up, and it was amazing to see how many inroads had been made, in terms of finding better meds than AZT, which was the original go-to -- and the only go-to -- for such a long time.

    Trust me, this too shall pass, even if it doesn't seem like it. Try calling some of those numbers I gave you, I think they're still on my desktop somewhere, if you need them. It's not the same, I know, as seeing someone in person, but it'll have to do for now.

    And use the time that you have to develop your own pursuits -- you are so bright, and so talented, I have no doubt that you can do even more than you realize right now, with the gifts that you've been given, like your art and drawing, as well as you're writing. I know, that probably sounds like Pollyanna 101, but the good thing is, we have the time and space to do those things, so let's do what we can with it. Trust me, a lot of people will be complaining about passing that opportunity up when their horrible bosses finally drag them kicking and screaming back to their offices. We don't have that problem, so chalk up one for us.

    I'm sorry you're struggling so much with all this, but just know that Mr. Peep is always in your corner, and always ready to do his best for you, to see that you have what you need, and meet all your needs, whatever they may be. I'm sure we'll talk about this more, but these are some of the currents running my brain at the moment. Take care, sleep tight in your little nest, and hopefully, you can lift your beak up a little bit more when you read this. Love -- Mr. Peep

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr. Peep.

    Thanks for helping to cheer me up. :)
    Yes you really do have fortitude. I do think you got used to being alone more as a child and learn to put this time into hobby and interests. I definitely spent chunks of time alone but I think I was tortured as "not being enough" by the narcissistic social butterflies who rubbed it in my face. So maybe my adaptation to it was more troubled.
    Yeah we both have needed hard turtle shells. LOL we are digging on the beach together...I keep talking about swimming for a new shore I know...LOL

    LOL maybe I feel bad making protestations about the name stuff but I wasn't mad at the person who shares my name. That's good she said those nice things. I think the UU has been very positive for us. It's hard for me to find this community and to have lost it to Covid. I hope we can all keep things going.


    I hope it does end at some point. I got very stressed yesterday from those maskless people. We need to leave house before they come home from work. I think maybe that is a problem. I think we are learning who the people are with empathy and those without and learning who to avoid. Yeah I remember the despair with Aids too. I have heard Covid referred to as "airborne Aids" not sure if that is a conspiracy thing or what. I hope there are scientists on the job to help alleviate all this. Yeah thanks for the numbers too. I agree.

    It is true with this time, there can be more art done. I'll see what happens with the cookbook project for the UUs, they may be waiting until Covid is over.

    I agree about using time to do art work and projects. Oh I still will type that one thing for you too. LOL about the people being dragged back to offices. It does sound like Covid is massively complicating work life. We are strange people I think to find enough to do in lock-down life but that is a good asset to have. :)
    Thank you Mr. Peep, you have been a great support and kept me going through out all this. I could not do it without you. That is the bright moment in all this being able to spend time with you and we never want for conversation among ourselves.

    You always manage to cheer me up and that is a wonderful thing. Love Mrs. Peep

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's pretty depressing around here too. Suddenly it's 30 degrees colder, gets full-on dark by 5 in the afternoon, etc.

    My internet isn't fast enough for Zoom, and I gave up on the library (except for its book sale room) long ago because they profiteer off of "lost" book fines (I had to get a receipt every time I returned a book or Hello, it's lost and you owe us $93.14)

    Not being productive depresses me, and then I end up spending nights like last night when I just drank and watched tons of music videos - I had no idea They Might Be Giants did so many songs. But then when I wake up I'm depressed because I didn't get anything done ...

    I got a nice little sketch book and drawing pencil (actually lead holder and a pack of leads) but haven't been sketching.

    The one thing I can say has been a success is, in spite of myself, I've been doing voice exercises nightly to see if I can strengthen my voice and to my utter amazement it's working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's really dark here now early. It got colder too, after we had a brief warm spell. Life mid-winter is really going to suck with no parks to escape too.
      Yeah that's too bad you can't get zoom. I know many poor people don't have the right computers and internet. Even at my UU, they set up screening for people who don't have the right computers and tech. We only have computers and all this internet because he works on it. His work dropped by a lot but there's SOME.

      it sounds like your library is scamming or has a thief in the midst selling books and then charging for lost books. Were these really good books that vanished that someone could have sold on ebay or something? I am fortunate the library here doesn't work that way but I've been burned too in past libraries by books vanishing. I would get a return receipt. I may try to get book pick up but since they have had covid there now would have to have the books sit for a few days.

      It's good you try to be productive but I am always behind on everything myself so don't feel bad. Feels like I always have a paper to fill out or something I don't know how to do and cleaning and medical always in the way of art work.

      I am glad the voice exercises are helping you. That sounds like true progress.

      Delete
    2. Since trumpet is just too hard on my system singing is a nice step down in stress and strain, and I'm familiar with the kind of training it takes to develop skill on an instrument. I have an evil nefarious plan to, when I'm back in Hawaii, have my Social Security pay my rent at least and make my day-to-day money busking.

      This is not exactly flash-in-the-pan. I used to sing when I was little, and we grew up singing snarky songs to let off steam and then there were a constellation of local comedians like Andy Bumatai and Rap Replinger and we'd do their routines.

      It's just that in a company, as a worker, being a standout in any way and especially being a standout for singing funny songs, is a one-way ticket to being fired. But I'm close to retirement age so I don't care anymore!

      Delete
    3. It sounds like a great hobby to destress with. I hope you can fulfill your dreams of going back to Hawaii, have Social Security to pay the rent and make money busking. If you have sung life long you probably have built up skill in it and know lots of songs. I nevere heard of those comedians but always in market for new ones. I am a terrible singer in my case but enjoy listening. I am type of personality who will make up fake songs and sing them but only in front of very very close people mostly for jokes. I think this would shock probably a lot of people. :P Yeah singing funny songs at work definitely would get you noticed. Well at least when one can retire or be on Social Security you don't have to reign it in so much.

      Delete
  4. Sadly, the local comedians from Hawaii are just that - very "local" and I'm not sure mainlanders would get much of the humor. Andy Bumatai actually traveled around the mainland and played at Vegas a lot, and he had to really "white up" his jokes and even develop a "white" accent which is hilarious; he turns it on at times in his "Daily Pidgin" videos on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I probably wouldn't get their humor. I know very little about Hawaii. Never been there either. I haven't even been to California before though I made it out to Utah and Colorado as a teen. I can see some trying to appeal to mainstream audiences, lol what is considered a "white accent", I once read everyone tried to sound like New Yorkers in broadcasting but not sure if that is true.

      Delete