Saturday, September 23, 2023

My Poem: Never Should have Left the Holler


                                                  picture by me 



This poem was written a few weeks ago. If I publish anything, I probably will have to take it down from here, some have told me I should get poems into chapbooks. This poem was written during the time I was leaving the Unitarian Universalist church and has the theme of "class issues" in my life. It also concerns Covid. I almost titled the poem, "The Woke Don't Care About the Broke". which is one of the lines. My husband has stayed in the UU but I understand. Leaving wasn't easy for me and I have the change in belief to contend with from everything that has happened in the last few years......


 Never Should Have Left the Holler.


I came back a second time
among the Boston Brahmins
it was a mistake
God had let me down
Heaven was too far away
We all wanted to save our world
The prison planet bars grew too thick
I saw the psychopaths in the room.
They didn't.
Flames licking on the ceiling,
racing to burn our lives down.

An Opera Singer, a magazine writer, and
editor of text books
sipped their Green Tea and dipped
their Pita Chips in Olive Hummus
Smacking their lips
as my peasant body grew into
a mountain and slid into the gutter
in 1997

The professors and their piles of books
lured me away from 
the fog of the barn
Robert Fulghum insisted on joy
Davidson warned freedom would be lost
among Utopian dreams
with no center.
Thandeka knew
the limits of feigned Original Sin.
Thoreau's nature 
crumpled, folded and squashed into a box
My walks to nowhere stopped

Bell Hooks still cared. 
Sally counted her 3 million like
Hetty Green.
Macrobiotics, New York Times
and white covered art books with
filmy inserts on the shelves.
Sampling Feldenkrais, Cranbook and caviar on pasta
at Hudson's. 
I was trying to leave my station
Should have never been an artist
since artists starve.
I could have been a contender,
Maybe a nurse, or a secretary, 
But there's just one hitch:
I've never known anything else.

The academics are pressured to all think
alike or receive censure.
The scientists all set aside feelings
for corporate desired results
Who care if things work anymore?

Almond milk in a blue crystal tumbler
vs Kool-Aid in a chipped plastic
J.D. Vance praised the successful 
with jobs that paid the bills
Grandma abandoning her small town
rose up to global travel, suburban house
and dinner parties.
I sat on the curb with the bags
waiting for the bus,
an orange package of Ramen at
the boarding house hoping for a
boiled egg at White Hen

Crystal glass hutches filled with
blue line drawing plates and goblets on place mats
and silverware out of a wooden box.
Trimming lawns with the hum of the mower on
landscapes of bliss, stone fireplaces and granite
birthed from home additions
as I slinked back to my milk crates and cracking grout sink.
Reiki never bought the green
Failing to reach 6 figures 
I was out of the family

I sold off prepper's silver for gas.
Old shoes, dry wiry hair, smeary glasses and 
piles of bills came roaring back to drown me.
Public life destroyed for the screens
Gentility disappeared, along with civility
there simply was too few to talk to.

Japanese netsuke,
an ivory hare held in a palm
with towers of purple Aphrodite crystal filled
rock
resting on tables in rooms
with smooth yellow floors of 
bamboo
No chips in plates

Gilded cages behind the wall
no human contact behind 
the muzzles (Perhaps I was a fool to fear the germs)
The reticent told me nothing
The circle was closed with me outside
Thin limbs, ease and smiles
while money flowed
like the River Nile taking them
to lands of sweetness and honey.

Never should have left the holler of the north
grasping for the ladder (They died young anyway)
16 years fading
The woke don't care about the broke
The eugenicists interfered
and took my world
of color and faces away

Pick the honeysuckle off the wire fence
and taste instead of life in drywall.  
As my world shrank, their world stayed an oyster
Bucket lists filling with checks
My grief came alone.

The technocracy disgusts me
The New Normal just feels like the New Insanity,
reheated like death and spaghetti
once or twice removed,
too many times warmed over
God broke down the door
Break down the walls of the 15-minute city 
Bukowski wrote "Wherever the crowd goes, 
go in the opposite direction."

2 comments:

  1. That is one fabulous poem. Keep writing. I loved it. Your work is wonderful, your blog is fantastic . I don't know how I found this blog but am very glad I stumbled on it. I like what you write about the class system, being poor /lower class in the USA. Been through similar things so many times. Trying to be a progressive, but for me it was the Quakers and a guru cult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thrown Away Daughter, glad you liked this poem and my blog too. I'm glad you found my blog too. Yes there's very few that talk about being poor or lower class in USA, I wish I could find more websites who are truthful about it. Thanks for telling me you relate. I've been told Quakers going same direction as the UU sadly. Progressives have gone elitists. Makes you wonder where do people like us go? Has to be others like us fed up, knowing progressives don't care about the poor anymore.

      Delete