Sunday, July 16, 2023

Leaving Another Church: My Departure from the Unitarian Universalist Church


I've decided to leave the Unitarian Universalist church. I've stopped going to all services a month ago. I'm going to finish out my garden on the property in a garden box  [that will be done in Sept or early Oct], and then I'll be completely done. Walking on eggshells for three years got really rough. Covid destroyed things for me too. I wrote one understanding and kind member this: 

"The Covid thing is too huge to me, with medical freedom and the future they want for us with constant gene altering mRNA shots and more. I also don't agree with the woke stuff or trans. Even my religious beliefs probably have moved out of UUism, still believe in God and teachings of Jesus though I am not going to return to the evangelical world". 

The sad thing is my religious beliefs don't really fit anywhere. Things are very complex. 

The "woke" politics were too much even a few years ago. The UU has come to resemble a political action committee interested only in corporate approved "identity politics" than an actual religion anymore. One of my recent poems, has the line, "The woke don't care about the broke". The mainstream liberal politics nauseate me more and more. They are all corporate directed, and the wealthy transexuals with tens of thousands of dollars to toss away on dysfunctional body modification seem to be the only people that matter anymore.

No one cares about the poor and working class people sinking under the waves. Transgender surgeries harm even adults. Pushing this stuff on kids is criminal. Woke is the epitome of the powers that be pushing "identity politics" above everything else as they bring in tyranny and crush us all into oblivion. "Woke" is indeed fascist.  How is the church of wokedom going to work for me? It's not.

I could talk to a few friendly souls there, but I had little in common anymore with most of my congregation. There were very positive memories there too so that is to be taken into account. I tried talking things out but just grew most alone around most. You know how that goes where you are afraid to be yourself. 

One thing that kept me in the fellowship, was they were very interactive, and allowed discussions and lay services.  I won't be returning to any churches, because sitting there being spoon fed is never going to do it again for me. My husband was very happy with that part of things. It is extremely rare in churches. 

Most did not relate to how Covid destroyed my life either. There really was no relating. If anything, this is where a huge degree of toxic positivity really came to fruition. Many church members focused on "having gratitude", which honestly that grew old after a while because it just seemed like more spiritual bypassing I learned while in fundamentalism, to dampen down any emotions and put a fake smile on your face. Many of these folks meant well, I even wondered how much harm these teachings had on them, but it was something that worried me. There was the unwritten rule to "never talk about the bad stuff."

If these people never share their problems with me, and everything is always about saving face and looking good. Why even be there?  Add to that the constant theme of claiming I've fallen down rabbit holes from social media because Pfizer seems to be a god to them. This invalidation took a toll too.


Toxic Positivity-Why It's Harmful and What to Say Instead

 I talked in the past about how my evangelical and fundamentalist churches practiced toxic positivity, telling those who "complained" they were muttering against the Lord and didn't have enough faith to "trust in God", the UU followed the "gratitude" gospel.  There were social rules in the congregation that you never complain about anything especially among the women. This didn't apply to all, but I would say most. I talked about art and intellectual things with them for years, and wanted the whole experience to be positive. After all I was happy there. There was no need to bring up  much "bad stuff". But I noticed after Covid, I was very much alone. There was no going below the surface. There were times I told my husband, "I feel like I'm around coworkers where everyone is jostling for position and trying to show their best sides always. The room can be on fire but we are expected to smile and say everything is going great"

 As I expressed grief over things there was no understanding. Many folks there were very nice people, they treated me better than other churches even. However most are very wealthy and were taking constant vacations even overseas during Covid. Here I was, shaking with fear, afraid to even eat in a restaurant and people were flying overseas to see the world. My household was falling into the inflation abyss. No one cared or related. I did try to open dialogue, but there was always a shut door in my face and I gave up. 

My views about Covid did separate me from the congregation to the max. When you are afraid to share your views, it means something that is not good. I quizzed the few people in the congregation that knew some of my views, they are still lining up for boosters now in 2023!  What number are they on 6 or 7? I lost track and really don't know. I felt grief over what I expected to happen to them. Many did become sick or got new health problems.

The very few I told, all had the same reaction, they disagreed but there was always an invalidation there, "You don't believe the "Science TM", "You've gone done rabbit holes!" No, I watched friends get sick from the Covid vaccine directly and read Pubmed. Arguing just didn't go anywhere. 

Many of the people were very kind, they even made me a garden box but as my world narrowed and I grew more isolated,  I was not in the right place. I was self-censoring within the church as early as 2021 to be "safe" and that's really when things ended as everyone jumped on the bandwagon I rejected. Things got weird when people were banning the unvaxxed from private parties in the church. I still remain in horror at what became "acceptable". I hope for the best for many in the congregation and will see probably see a few at community events until I am able to move but this will remain a life-long disappointment.

UU is going down globalist evil transhumanist, no more western civilization or freedom highway. I just can't follow. Leftist kleptocracy sucks. I went back into the UU after deconstructing after 15 years of Christian fundamentalism. My religious history is more complicated than most. The fifth principle UUs have warned about the "institutional capture" where they just removed "freedom of conscience" from the articles. These developments have influenced my desire to leave.

Things got weird, this is a T-shirt sold by the UUA that claims "Abortion is a blessing". Some of the Fifth Principle UUs online were rightly outraged. Even if you are in the "safe, rare and legal" camp, moving so far to call abortion a blessing, is pretty sick. Of course I get frustrated with the fact most abortions are done under economic duress, where the woman in question can't afford to take care of a baby or will lose schooling, job or even family support. You never see right or left talk about that. Calling abortions blessings smacks of Moloch crap.   Like they are going to turn it into a "sacrament" or something. I did see these women online having an "abortion" party where one made her friend an "abortion cake", and drew a baby being thrown into a trash can on the cake. That was sick!



Is this sick or what? Even the statement "trans is divine" is disturbing as well. 

It's sad to leave a church. This is the second time I have left the UU, I spent 20 adult years in UU churches including being married in one. I even became estranged from relatives for leaving the Catholic church and becoming UU at the age of 18. Sadly some of the reasons, I am leaving again, are the same ones that took me out in 2000, besides moving to an area with no UU churches at that time.  Class differences were a worry of mine even heading back in. 

With church in general, I'm done. The "dones" supposedly are a growing class of people. People probably are getting sick of controlling preachers, churches that prop up the oppressive system and all the group think. 

Maybe I'll be inside one for a community event or class, but after leaving the UU, I'm done with churches in general. My first IFB [independent fundamentalist baptist] church I was in, was a working class church. Being still eager and younger the experience felt much different. We had a goodbye party when we had to move away. The pastor was young and was a rare 'sincere' man. The rest of evangelical preachers I encountered were all oily used car salesmen. Church may be too difficult for autistics anyhow, with the constant social demands and masking. Covid complicated things so much for me, that's when things started to fall apart. 

My early years [4-5 years] in the UU church were happy, the intellectual explorations, the discussions, and more were interesting. Many of the people were engaging, intelligent, friendly and dedicated to making the world a better place. My husband played music, I shared art and developed a role as a church artist. I want to keep those good memories. It became a different place later. It just wasn't the same.

Covid changed people and you all know what I believe about the vaxxes changing people. It was a whole other world. People became very closed down. Emotionally they were flat. It weirded me out. Politics changed too and became more insane. One was expected to choose a team and follow everything on the team roster without question. One could have a few differing opinions even in those days.  I will remain in shock forever how not one other person in my UU church questioned anything. It will disturb me for the rest of my life. Why wasn't anyone else seeing the destruction of our lives, health and country?  Why did I have to be the only one?               

 I may be too independent minded to do church right. I couldn't conform right as a "fundamentalist" was against Dominionism and I didn't conform enough for the Unitarian Universalists who expected to me to sign off on a check list as involved as the fundamentalists especially near the end. 

Reminds me of my family, I was made to paid dearly for leaving the Catholic church.  Sadly there's many negative things about churches in general, where there seem to be many commonalities at least to the dark side of church. 

Finding community at church can be a challenge. I had some in my first church, maybe that place was rare, or I was young and idealistic, well it was more working class. I just get told I suck for not conforming enough in all the last ones, UU included. I was deemed "evil" and Satan's daughter for walking out of the last IFB, now I'm "evil" for questioning a few things and not being the "right kind" of liberal. People stopped talking to me for my opinions in the fundamentalist church--I didn't like Trump. I've already had "light ostracization" with the UUs, a few I dared to open my mouth to, for some time. Walking on eggshells doesn't even describe it. 

Church from conservative to liberal seems like a place mostly for high status people to show off. I noticed that, how the wealthiest families were always held up as the "best examples", the bragging about extensive vacations at the UU grew really old for me. I was hiding away due to bad lungs--social life cratering, and they were bragging about their weeks spent traveling through Europe, Eygpt and other far flung places. This was true in the evangelical church. A very wealthy Quiverful family dominated my second IFB. [fundamentalist church]. All the parties and gatherings at that church were for their various weddings, baby and wedding showers. 

Church costs money. Don't have money, no reason to be there. As inflation has skyrocketed, I can't even afford the reduced pledges of the UU. There's a reason you don't see poor or broke people at churches except maybe some very remote tiny churches/homechurches in the holler.  The evangelical ones always expected the giant cut of 10 percent, I never could afford. So I never was an "official member"  of my Christian churches. Jesus talked about help for the widows and poor but with most evangelical churches, it was pay up!. The UUs were far more reasonable but even there, it's sad when you can't afford church anymore. 

Don't waste time trying to make close friends at church. A few people were friendly to me at the UU and there's a few I will keep as friends, but overall, the friendships in both the Christian churches and UU didn't seem to go very deep. Religion demands so much perfection, one thing I have noticed in churches is people never share any vulnerabilities or foibles. Spiritual perfection and close friendships seem to be at opposite ends. There are a few I was more friendly with, this did not apply to and plan to keep contact with. I had a few friends in evangelical churches but there was always the danger of becoming a "project friend" and as a disabled person, there's always that "Have faith and be healed" edge to things.

The pressures for projects, lectures and church work, I couldn't keep up with it. The same went for Christian churches who thought someone on disability had the time to be doing constant volunteer work.

I went into churches looking for connection, I did find some great people here and there. I had far more community in an anti-war group I was in years ago then I ever did at any church. I'm  not sure why that is. 

Church is about social conformity. I didn't match good enough as a fundamentalist, rebuked for war protesting, for being against Dominionism, and not voting for GWBush. I didn't match good enough for the UUs, "wrong kind of liberal", not with the program, medical freedom beliefs, not "woke" enough. Things really changed a few years ago quite abruptly, I feel like some differences were allowed in the earlier years but that ceased to be. Covid of course was a massive dividing line. 

The UUs treated me better being disabled, I will give them that, but most disabled people in churches it's a hellzone, you don't have enough faith to be healed, "you did something wrong". Everyone comes at you for advice for your messed up body. Some UUs did give me the "toxic positivity" spiels. Churches in general seem to practice spiritual bypassing, suppression of any negative emotions and "toxic positivity". Talking about anything even slightly negative was not allowed at my UU. This worsened post-Covid, as it seemed everyone seem more intent on proving how resilient they all were, then being real about anything. I focused on art and intellectual stuff for years after all it was a positive place for me, what was there to bitch about back then? Things remained at a superficial level for a reason.

The fundamentalists at my poorer working class church were more open but the rule at Calvary Chapel and my second IFB was never talk about anything negative, and if you had even ONE mild complaint, you were showing lack of faith in God. Once at the second IFB, during a prayer session, I worried aloud about a medical problem, and three church members later came up to give me books on trusting God. 

I have enough hobbies to keep myself busy. I'm always behind on projects. Better to join a Senior Center [husband will be old enough soon] and art center than a church. 

Churches are money-making business and "busy work for adults". Sometimes I get exhausted thinking of all the church volunteer work, that was attempted to be foisted on me. All of them have endless committees. Some of this work there is a need for like helping at a soup kitchen, but some folks seemed to do nothing but go to church meetings. 

Churches all support the status quo. Question the system, well you probably aren't going to last long. If you are off the "normie" reservation in general, expect negative reactions. This could be anything from anarchism, punk, libertarianism, questioning globalism, liking Bukowski to an interest in outsider art. You will notice a growing sameness in all your church members, and a pressure to become more like them. Name one church denomination that stood against the Covid tyranny? If they are big enough to be a known name, there doesn't seem to be one.

I'm not going to waste anymore time on any church. I don't believe one has to be in a church to have a relationship with God. I believed years ago, that the "church system" had departed from what Jesus Christ intended anyhow, and think that way now. I'm back reading the bible and thinking about Bible prophecy. From what I can tell most of the UU loves the WEF and every agenda I now despise so staying wasn't an option. 

We all want to belong somewhere and have community, I had a lot of dreams about the UU church I was in, but there simply was too much I came to disagree on. The good memories will be held onto. It was a learning experience.

The Unitarian Universalist Controversy: When Your Church Goes So Woke You Can't Stand It.

The Angst of Life

This speech is ironic to me now, well authoritarianism took over the left even more so.

Stopping the Authoritarian Train in it's Tracks.

My Life of Sadness Among the "Juice Drinkers".

The High Church of Wokeness

Why Unitarian Universalism is Dying

9 comments:

  1. Well, Peeps, I'm sorry that you're leaving again -- another one bites the dust, I guess. I agree that the toxic positivity gets to be a bit much, and a lot of that is overdone, for sure. I've never really put up with that, as I'm sure you know.

    As far as the status issues you mention, I'm honestly not sure what can be done to fix that. You'll find that in any church you go to -- there's always a few people at the top of whatever the totem pole of the month happens to be. The best you can do is try to find somebody to connect with, and leave the rest -- some are better on than others, on that score.

    What I mainly liked there is the interactivity -- I hate to give that up, because I don't think I would find that same level of it elsewhere. A lot of activities around here are overly formal and organized, as I'm sure you're aware, so if you find an option that works, it's tough to let go of it.

    Then again, the bastards haven't asked me to play guitar in awhile, ha-ha-ha, so maybe I'm too great a benefit of the doubt here, I don't know. :-) But I could always do a pop-up type gig on Facebook, or something like it, so I can probably figure out a way to fill that void, if need be.

    As far as the political stuff goes, remember, this is the church of Holly Near (who wrote "We Are A Gentle Angry People"), so that tells what you're getting on the tin. Yes, I agree, the baby image that you object to is extreme, but I don't think it happens in a vacuum.

    If my bullying boss had been aborted, I would have been spared a lot. I hate to say it that way, but it's how I feel. My mental health almost got totally derailed because of it, so I'm celebrating every day he's no longer with us. If it makes me a meanie, so be it.

    On the other hand, I do admire what you've always expressed to me, that if you'd been in that situation, you'd have kept yours. That tells me how much of a caring and loving person you really are, and how good you would have been in that situation, like you were with your art students. So I do see the other side of that coin.

    I do wish society prepared folks better for that responsibility -- for all the yammering about how much we love kids, we certainly don't put our money where our mouth is, do we? The loss of the child tax credit after the pandemic makes that loud and clear. --Mr. Peep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah another one bites the dust, I guess we at least had some fun times there, and there were some interesting nice people we met. I was reluctant to leave you know over some of the support we did have which probably delayed things further but my beliefs grew farther and farther from theirs.

      Yeah the toxic positivity grew old. I don't mind focusing on some good stuff, and happiness but when it comes at the price of never admitting anything is wrong, things got weird. Also I got the drift that people who could afford vacations that cost tens of thousands of dollars a year, [Hungary, Egypt, Europe, other long sojourns] were not experiencing the same existence. It was weird because I noticed none of them seemed to fear Covid, though they got it all the time, announcing it to the church [maybe colds and over-sensitive PCR tests?] but then I got more confused because at least three got seriously messed up by Delta. Two people I thought left actually were home for a year ill. It seemed like I was under pressure never to talk about anything "bad" or "negative" or how "isolated" I felt. I mean we don't want to dump on people continuously, but I felt they were as taken up with the toxic positivity as any Christian church. Maybe it was Stockholm Syndrome, "the world is burning down" but we can't admit it and must live in happy denial. I know money kind of buffers the edges a bit of course.

      I think most churches are high status people, in ALL the churches you may see 1 or 2 disabled/widowed people who live in "genteel" poverty that usually includes some degree of homeownership or a supportive family but most of the truly down and out, well, I think most people like that end up leaving. Think about it this way, how come in every church we were ever in, we were the only apartment dwellers? How come we never encountered anyone at the same socioeconomic level except extremely rarely. It's true in every human organization, the wealthy probably will have higher "ranking", there's a degree it may not be avoided. I do think poor and working class people probably do better among people in the same boat. I don't know how we seem out to sea never meeting anyone in the same situation.
      continuing...

      Delete

    2. Yeah I liked the interactivity a lot. I'm not thrilled about going to some place with some guy lecturing all us for three hours while dying of boredom. In the last awful Christian churches there, was no room for discussion, especially the last IFB, that guy had to have the floor every milli-second. That place was weird not even allowing a women 's bible study. Probably the activities here are more formal and organized due to predominate corporate and more affluent culture. I'm not sure. A lot of things did seem to lose the grass-roots edge long ago. We probably are looking for what we had in our old town years ago, where things seemed informal, communication open and closer, and not so rigid. Maybe when I tell you it's time for some place new I want some of that back. I felt it you know when we were in that really small town.

      LOL about guitar playing, well being on Zoom we weren't really around. Like a "ghost in the machine", I realized with horror, these people do truly see us as having left three years ago. Not their fault of course. Covid ruined so many things.

      I don't really like that song, "We are a Gentle Angry People". They did start singing it a lot. I didn't see much anger for injustice or Covid tyranny. I always thought I wasn't "Gentle" enough. LOL Too outspoken. Leave the gentle crud for the NPR listeners with their cruises and linen tunics and burgeoning bank accounts..

      Things have changed with the baby thing, there's like a degenerate "celebration" of abortion now happening. When they write crap like "abortion is a blessing", that's even more horrifying of someone of my circumstances who never could have kids and never was pregnant. Even there, the obtuseness, acting like abortion is a wonderous choice when everyone I know who got an abortion did it out of economic duress and horror that way. [there are the medical cases of course too]

      I was surprised your bully boss died so young, usually the Narcopaths, live really old to torture others, but he had the eager boyscout approach to the system like a sadistic hall monitor so burned his candle at both ends. Well he caused other people endless pain including that one woman who moved and he fired her on the first day.

      Thanks, I'm glad you see the other side of the situation and my view of things.
      continuing.

      Delete
  2. (Continuing my comment, as they said it's too long...)


    What makes this stuff even more complicated is that, on a certain level, it's not just about abortion anymore, as these crazy laws they're passing in these ruby red paradises will attest -- the bounty laws, the attempts to impose surveillance on your mail and right to travel, and so on. Like it or not, the Gilead Project is being readied, and it will be imposed in a flash if they ever get control of the government again, like they did in 2016.

    Unless we can somehow take these folks out of circulation in time. Which is definitely doable -- seeing the Tallahassee Mussolini, DeSantis, stumbling so badly has felt satisfying. But I always had a feeling he believed his own press a bit too much -- America as a whole is not like the state he seems to rule so absolutely, though the possibility of getting an abortion rights measure on the ballot may mark another major blow to his invincibility. Imagine the embarrassment he'll suffer if they pass something like that. I'm crossing my fingers.

    On a different note, I dislike your free use of the term "woke" -- surely it belongs in the dustbin next to all those other far right-isms, like the infamous one they tried to peddle in the '90s ("card-carrying ACLU member"). What's the opposite, asleep? To me, it's part of their manipulation of the language, like all those impressively-named shadow groups busy trying to dismantle our democracy -- such as the Alliance Defending Freedom, who are busy taking a battering ram to gay rights.

    There's nothing "free" about what they do, unless you're among those who favor turning the clock back to the 1950s -- when the little woman had a black eye, but was still expected to keep a pot of meatloaf on the stove.

    Your comments about the financial aspect of churches are interesting, because some of those issues have crossed my mind, as well. I've often wondered that, too: would anybody "care" as much, if they weren't taking your money? Or if you weren't putting in that time volunteering for whatever one of those committees you're on? I agree that the optics get more complicated for someone with disabilities, like yourself.

    A lot of the enforced cheer got on my nerves, too, at least going by what I recall from our previous church experiences. And the whole "we're not worthy, we're not worthy" bit gets overdone -- this isn't Wayne's World, for God's sake (cue the scene in WW2, where the guys meet Alice Cooper, for further reference). Though Wayne expressed it more stylishly than any of those people I've seen say it around here.

    I just hope I can figure out how to deal with the pledges that piled up. I'm disappointed that I didn't keep pace with it, but maybe we bit off more than we could chew, I don't know. It all looked pretty doable, at least until they had paying $7 for a jar of mayonnaise, and $6.29 for a bag fries -- why do you think I'm buying the crappy ass store brand? -- and things of that nature. I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with that issue (among the many others that we've discussed).

    I'm sorry that you ended up being disappointed by your latest experience, though you may have to find a workaround -- like the Bible studies you mentioned -- to fill the gap. From all your comments, it does seem like you want a bit more low-key sort of life experience, in general, for which I don't blame you. There are times when that sounds like a good deal to me, too.

    Hopefully we can find something like that, that agrees with us, like the opportunity to eat for less at your friendly neighborhood senior center. --Mr. Peep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think I am happy with the right wing either, regarding abortion. The prolifers don't offer much either and ignore the economic duress of abortion. They also cancel all services that would have women keeping their babies more possible. Maybe it's time to hold the men more responsible too. Birth control is at a level where unwanted pregnancy should be rare as hell. It did go down, but then the prolife wants all the birth control gone which was always insane to me as well, even non-abortive.

      Sadly the right is using some of the excess of the left for more speech, and censorship laws. The right wing thinks oh Desantis will free us from vaxx mandates but then forget about Thiel and his Palantir company.
      Desantis, had the Covid stuff right but everything else wrong, that's how they do it, get people in the door when the broken clock gets one important issue right but then introduces madness in other guises. A lot of Republicans make promises they break too.

      With "woke", the focus on "identity politics" is a problem, see the cartoon at the start of the article. Woke may have represented good things in the 1930s when used by African Americans but it's changed now. The social justice warriors don't seem to care about the poor or war anymore. Well that's my opinion. I don't like Maoist ideology tests. That said I will admit the right wing does manipulate with the language.

      I don't know much about the Alliance Defending Freedom. Need to read up on them. You know from my fundamentalist days I'm more than cognizant of some of the "freedom" political organizations which really never did anything for me but try to help to remove all social safety nets. They always had a thing for pushing the disabled into the gutter. With leftist organizations, some are going places I don't agree with, like the ACLU supporting vaxx mandates, and or support MAID for the disabled. I followed this one guy in Canada on Twitter pressured to do Maid--economically and otherwise, basically "euthanize" himself and this guy while he is in a wheelchair is IN FAR BETTER SHAPE then me. This is being pushed now in USA states, and it's scary. I probably am as "right wing" as they come when it comes to euthansia, and well on abortion, both sides upset me as you know.

      Some gays are worried about where things are going on the left especially with the kids. I'm friends with a lesbian now on Facebook standing against transitioning of children and them having puberty blocking hormones/sex change surgeries. They don't want the kids harmed either. I also think some do realize some of these excesses are already bouncing back on them. I've met gays against Pride parades too, because they say way too much "kink" is publically displayed [like the "leather" guy getting his butt whipped in one parade]and they do fear the backlash.

      In my fundamentalist churches, you know I saw weird stuff, where I got rebuked once and told women must always obey men. What was that crazy book called, we had to read, do you remember for women's bible class, where it taught total submission by women?

      Things are getting too extreme all over.
      continuing...

      Delete

    2. Yeah churches cost money with the financial stuff. Something to think about, the other poors aren't there except maybe in the church in the holler, because church costs money. Yeah good question about the "caring" and money. There too even in my Christian churches, I always felt weird, knowing they weren't getting the 10 percent cut, and I never could afford it. Even those expectations were so immense. It's true the optics get more complicated when one is disabled. A person on disability who is single never could afford church donations if dependent alone on a very low barely substinence income. Yeah the committee stuff seemed exhausing. I'm someone who finds "business" meetings way too boring in general.

      Thanks for admitting you saw the enforced cheer too. There was no place for my feelings about Covid to go, and I couldn't keep up the charade anymore. I feel bad to take you out of there, but there's the element of having to be true to one's self too. LOL How many UUs think the last days are now here? I kind of seperated alone with that one. I promise not to drag you some place like the last IFB and their horrific extreme right wing politics. Hmm got extreme left or let me say "corporate globalist supporting" leftist politics [my winter oak articles which are technically leftist did always seem to offend the few UUs I showed them too on one side and extreme right politics in the other churches. I wasn't thrilled at all to hear that last IFB pastor always preaching, "those that don't work won't eat". He always was complaining about "bums" on welfare or disability. Yeah like anyone wants to live down and out.
      https://winteroak.org.uk/

      LOL Church is built around "We are not worthy". Notice how the Christian ones focused on sin to the detriment of anything else, yes people should avoid evil, but I wonder how much harm is being done telling people they are low down worms. In the UU, constantly being called an "oppressor" for color of skin got old. Not all white people are rich. Thandeka warned this false application of "original sin" to UU would fail. Some of those people with very alternative thoughts, say religion is a control matrix in general that seeks to disempower the human individual and works alone via "guilt". LOL it's an interesting theory. Maybe some "guilt" keeps evil at bay [development of conscience requires some guilt, so you don't end up with a bunch of psychopaths] but then it can be manipulated too.

      I think with pledges we did bite off more than we could chew. It was scary how what was enough money one year, due to inflation no longer was. We had no way of knowing how fast all the prices would skyrocket. I guess I wish that was an issue, that had been addressed in the church and one reason all the extensive vacation taking blew my mind, it was like their funds were endless and they remained untouched by inflation we found extreme crushing. You know what is ironic in the Bible churches are told to share resources among themselves. I think the Hutterites got it the most "right" honestly.

      Thanks for your post Mr. Peep, <3 well I will try and find workarounds. Hopefully we can return to normal living soon, and do more low key stuff. Maybe senior center or art center of whatever place we are living in soon, will fill some social gaps. :)

      Delete
  3. Thrown Away DaughterJuly 17, 2023 at 8:50 PM

    I am so sorry for your loss. Things have changed in the world in the past 3 years - we're being set at each other's throats. Divide & conquer do the powers that be can remain in control. I tried so hard to be a Quaker - but the click of hypocritical bitches was far too much for me.There were a couple of genuine kind people.
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thrown Away Daughter. Yeah things changed too much, nothing was the same anymore. I was gone so long too, maybe paid a price being over-cautious trying to avoid Covid, because I had so many health problems already. The sad thing is only a few will notice I am "gone" because last time I was there in person was March 2020. Yeah the powers that be are gifted at divide and conquer, now they have invaded our personal lives and destroyed so much. Thats too bad things didn't work out with you with the Quakers. Sadly I always get left out of cliques too. I know how that goes. Yes there were a few genuine kind people where I left too, I am sure you will miss them as well.

      Delete
    2. Thrown away daughterJuly 19, 2023 at 12:39 PM

      It was a while ago, over 20 years . I loved the meeting house, silent worship, their history- but I was made to understand that I would never be accepted by the hypocrites. I will try to remember the kind people. The thing that made me leave was suspect behavior of the guy who played Santa Claus! He creeped me out - since the children who came to the party had parents in prison and were vulnerable to perpetrators.
      Am sure if I went there today the woke trans blm antifa crap would drive me away again.
      It was too much work, not fun and spiritual @ all

      Delete