Friday, October 9, 2020

Emigration Blues

 I thought of the escape, and clearing out out of the country watching King Trump's madness and his idiotic henchmen and than made the decision to stay [for now]. By the way if things get bad enough here, this option may still be on the table. We see ourselves as Americans, this is a culture I am used to, there's also the idea of staying and fighting and refusing to give up a country to fascist fools as well.

America is going down the chute. I voted for Biden, with a ballot walked up to the local ballot box at the clerk's office, but I know Biden is just a neo-liberal way to buy time. He still is in the back pocket of all those corporations, but I'd rather a neo-liberal than an unhinged maniac who wants to bring in Gilead with Pence. Chris Hedges has warned where this place is going and unless there are some major changes and deep reform, it's going to be bad. I still think Bernie would have been far better but took what I could get. If Trump wins or steals the election, I am expecting full collapse.

When I did my research for leaving the country, I didn't assume Europe is instantly better because of their better social safety net and health care. My husband has lived there before in the UK for a year and half in the early 1990s and an extended visit to countries on the "continent". He has told me for years, "Everything is smaller in Europe" and "This two bedroom 800 square foot apartment would be a palace there."

I did emigration research and found out my husband IS ELIGIBLE for "citizenship via descent" with  parents who emigrated here from Germany [he was born in the USA] and they never became USA citizens.  So this was an issue I studied heavily, I even went into the English language corners of that country's website to learn how to apply and which consulate to contact in the USA.

When I said to my husband, America could become a fascist hellhole, maybe we should think about getting getting out if Trump gets a second term, he was more reluctant, he sees himself as American first and foremost and identifies more with that identity than the one of his parents.  He said to me, "Well, maybe Biden will win!" I said, "I hope so!"

I went on to research things. I have some European friends and contacts online, and people who have lived overseas, and had extensive conversations with them. I have never been to Europe. Its always good to know what you are getting into.

Things I learned:

1. Americans seem to over-estimate the Utopia of Europe. [more on this as I go down the list]

2. Just getting there would probably clean us out and that would take selling stuff off. Who wants to move to a foreign country to be homeless? I also told husband, moving that far would mean giving up 90 percent of all our possessions. We obviously didn't like that idea. Nearly immobile people are far happier with access to a car too. There's also the complicated issue of being on disability.

3. Gig employment and remote employment is not allowed in certain European countries. I can't argue, unlike this place they support their workers and want them to have some benefits and stability. Some of those "digital nomads" are technically breaking the law in some places.

4. If you get too old, such as in husband's case you won't qualify for public health care in Germany. These were some of the details I checked out.

5. You have to know the language wherever you go to function. Several Germans who could speak English online, told me to really survive, you need to be fluent in Germany, and don't believe the websites that claim everyone can speak English. They said, "yes we learn some English in school but it is nowhere near the fluency you will expect except for people who use it work situations or have lived overseas." You need German to get a job like in husband's case. My husband knows some German but is far from fluent. I can ask him certain words like how do you say this in German, but he never could write a newspaper article in decent enough German.

6. I am not one for German culture, I consider it too rule-laden and the people too stoic. Other European friends were honest about the culture there. My husband's sister who is the most austere person I know, had a rough time in Germany when she tried to go to medical school there back in the mid 1990s.  I thought well, he could get the German citizenship and we could go to a place in the EU that speaks English. So I talked to other Europeans online and others I met via groups online and have been friends with for some time.

7. Much of Europe is expensive as hell. For what I pay for rent in the Midwest, and get 800 square feet and two bedrooms, I was told I would have to pay 30-40 percent more [I know the exchange rates] to get a room with a bed in it, and not even my own bathroom in Ireland. Other countries were even more expensive. That was a common theme too. I don't think Europe has the number of cheaper medium and small sized towns that America does and they are more remote with less offerings. Eastern Europe is deemed far cheaper but obviously things are very different there.

8. Europe is not handicapped accessible in many places.  I went to go find out how accessible is Europe? Is there a country where there is help for the disabled and accessibility? Americans forget, this place was a shiny place of progress before Republicans started destroying things here. Europe never had anything equivalent to the ADA [Americans with Disabilities Act] like American has had.

There's a few disability groups and such who help people but there never was a "disability rights movement" perse. There's no rules that public buildings have to be accessible to the disabled. Yes many buildings are very old so that makes it harder. I thought of me and my walker, and my life becoming hell unable to even get to an art class or a doctor's appointment. I can do a few stairs but flights and flights forget it. One German told me stories of disabled people being carried up or down stairs.  Better not take a vacation there if I ever came into money. I always had the thought that the rambling roads, tiny cars and castles with twisting staircases would be a nightmare for me.

One issue occurred to me, I am very heavy and supersized ironically pass for about 100 under what I really weight, was told water is heavier than fat by one doctor, but in countries where people are thin, I would stick out like a strange thumb. Add in the "Michelin Man" body from severe Lipedema, and that could go bad. People are used to my appearance here. I can walk around basically ignored and there's enough fat people too.

9. The right wing is rising everywhere. Germany has a far right problem. I thought it would be idiocy to leave America to escape the fundamentalists and crazies and then encounter worse racists and public Nazis in another country. Hungary and Poland are so far gone down the right wing/religion highway, don't even get me started. Germans seem to see their far right, as "controlled" and with the majority rejecting their nonsense but I found out there was even an anti-masker and Trump parade in Germany. The numbers of their far right are growing. Obviously Trump's brand of hate has been exported to Brazil and other places. England of course has their Brexit problem, growing austerity and right-ward drift too.

10. Canada, it's not Europe, but I know getting into Canada as a disabled person is impossible. I learned this years ago. Canada while smaller, has it's limitations. The health care IS better, and but there things are expensive. They are having their own right wing drift too, if you check out the news. One thing I have learned is they are outraged with America and not too happy about people crossing the border or sneaking in.

11. Covid is everywhere. I had thought Europe and other countries were doing better with Covid. Maybe not. Some of the European friends told me there were resurgences. I read of SOME anti-masker rallies in Germany, held by their right wing though obviously I don't think the anti-science and religion crowd is as big as it is here.

12. Everywhere has problems. My husband once when I was bringing up, "Should we escape?" said, "No, they've managed to ruin everywhere." He may have had a point. One can tell the 1 percent's greed has affected the whole planet. Most Europeans still have some far better health care and some safety nets, but the expenses and more are some real drawbacks.

13. Climate change is everywhere. Parts of Europe have been in severe drought for three years to even the point the trees are dying. I think that is a problem you can't out run.  I expect as the West burns, where I live now with it's greenery and expansive water resources is going to become the new popular spot. Forest fires are rare here.

The USA is very unstable. I think it means something bad when the Michigan governor is threatened with kidnapping by a group of domestic terrorists, and the crazy man who is now president wrote "Liberate Michigan". Being surrounded by crazy anti-maskers and extreme religious people and strutting around Proud Boys with their black and white flags is not easy. I do have the sane allies, but people are wondering where this is all going to go.

We did go to one protest where I stayed far away from others, the Republicans had taken over the side of the street us protesters used to stand on.  I figure my liberal allies didn't see that as a hill to die on, and just took over the street across from them. Things were peaceful at this last protest with both groups not interacting with each other. I made a sign against the extremely conservative Judge Barrett, that Trump wants to put in the Supreme Court. There was part of me that thought, "Why do all this protesting and trying to change things only to run away?" So yeah that was in my mind too. Like my husband, I see myself as an American first too though in my case, the ancestors who immigrated here are a few generations back on one side, and back to 1860 on another.

I decided to set the European dreams aside for now. Part of what fueled the emigration research is my fight or flight that kicks in. Husband kept telling me to calm down, it can't get that bad. I do think there are signs of things getting really bad here. A few people told me if you haven't already left, it's already too late.

I hope America can get it's shit together. The next two months are going to tell us, a lot of where things are going to go. I don't know if there's going to be a Civil War or civil unrest or what. Many are afraid in regards to the election.

I am scared of what a sizeable part of our population has become. There has been heartache in seeing what people stood for and supported. It was horrifying. I am not someone who sees every liberal as perfect too or the DNC, but the extremes here are beyond explanation. How can I tolerate people who literally don't care if others die? The way now 212,000 deaths have been accepted is horrific.

Ibram X. Kendi, thinks racism has fueled their hatred, and selfishness and I agree with him. It is troubling. I've parted ways now with so many people and them from me. The dividing lines are happening on a microcosm too and it's impacting my life a lot.

I do think going to Europe would be a more viable decision for a younger, wealthier and healthier couple. My disabilities are a giant barrier as well as our advanced age, and my being on disability and husband's limited work--he has moderate health problems that would make full time work very difficult. Also in my case, language and other problems would be worsened with my severe hearing problems. I don't want to buy more trouble, running away. I don't regret finding out the rules, or the option that is there, but I feel sad, that I live in a country that has become so unsafe, so ruined by the stupid and sociopathic that I even thought to research this "option".  I hope it's not too late for things to be changed and where we can look to progress instead of fascism and a dystopia. I would rather be able to stay.


11 comments:

  1. It always amazes me that so many migrants try to get into this country , we are steadily turning into North Korea with the Mafia family headed by Boris Johnson in charge , we live in a little village thats not on a highway to anywhere , public healthcare is dying by inches , its a lucky dip as to whether you can access healthcare at all due to Covid , this week all blood tests were cancelled because there is no reagent to do the tests , theyve run out of the flu vaccine after telling everyone they must have it , you go pick up a perscription and half of its missing ...the list is endless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, yes people see the UK as being in far better shape than America, maybe a few things are better....you all are spared some of the extremists we have here, but I know enough people who live there to know it's not all sunshine and roses, and the reality is that the UK is having it's own Republican plan shoved down it's throat. I belonged to this UK based disability rights board where they talked about the horrors awaiting the disabled via austerity. I bet you live in the little village knowing the rents in big cities. I would be in a cardboard box in London. Sorry to hear access to healthcare is vaporizing. That's sad about the blood tests being cancelled. I think we are having some prescription problems, the pharmacists always tell me to come back to complete the fill but at least that's usually within a day or two. We can get blood tests now still though things were closed down for non-emergency. I am trying to get some appointments in before the anti-maskers help Covid resurge. Yeah sadly the resources there are having problems. A lot of Americans do see Europe as a Utopia, well the poverty and job problems here are so severe so that's understandable. I made sure to make informed decisions. I see Boris Johnson as a proto-Trump, maybe not as crazy, but he's nearly there.

      Delete
    2. I've seen it written a few places that the working class in the UK have the same health/lifespan as the rich in the USA. Of course the USA is a pretty low bar, but you get the idea.

      Delete
    3. Wow that's scary which means our working class is even lower. Well life spans have been rapidly dropping in the USA, especially among Gen X.

      Delete

  2. Blogger won't let me write anything beyond the most generic and simple thoughts. Good to see you on morris berman blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey what glitch is it doing to you? Yeah figure I would post there. I went to the Ian Welch one too.

      Delete
  3. Alex. Is one only allowed one post a day over on Morris B's blog, didn't know of that rule when I posted. Be careful of Dalrymple, I read his books during fundie days, he reminds me of Charles Murray thinking good morality will bring one out of poverty. I watched PBS and read lots of books during my poorest--hanging out at libraries. Those types back up the elite who are anything but moral in their thievery. [I had posted you on Dalyrymple and Murray there, but think I went over the post limit and said hello too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 500 - Yes it's one post per 24H over at Berman's place. And I know Dalrymple comes from the Right and being a doctor means he def. is from a bougie background and not to be trusted on that count. However, I have seen many of the things he describes and I'll always give the benefit of the doubt to those who have Been There, Done That, as Dalrymple has. In the same way that I don't share the contempt Dr. Berman has for Chris Hedges. Hedges has been in literal war zones and out among the deplorables in flyover country and knows what he's talking about. When Hedges says he saw the same erecting of nationalistic statues, harkenings back to some supposed earlier golden age, increased militarism in erstwhile Yugoslavia and it's exactly what he sees in the US now, I believe him.

    Getting back to Dalrymple, I get the impression the guy really wanted to help, but he observed that you give the underclass things that would help a temporarily down on their luck middle class person, and an underclass person will just piss the money etc away. So it's got to be more than material things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why does Dr. Berman have contempt for Chris Hedges? I have some old posts to read. Maybe it is the religious differences. I have to admit with liberal Christians, my mind can't handle the cherry picking meant to make that position work. Hedges at least has warned of the present day Christo-fascists for years. Dalyrmple it is true saw a lot, and was in the trenches, and did want to help, the poorer people piss the money away knowing it will vaporize fast, or can disappear forever so yeah that's a mindset based in their circumstances. I have had the weird class issues, where education makes me not fit in with people of my socioeconomic class but my realities make me not fit in with people of middle class and upper middle class realities. It's one reason it's hard for me to make friends. The poverty life does work against the underclass decisions, just even the stress, the constant being beaten down. I think Dalyrmple got angry and frustrated a lot at what he saw, but needed to take the PTSD, and psychological impacts into consideration more.

    I believe Hedges about the USA, as you know my conspiracy past, seeing some of the shit us crazy paranoid "conspiracy nuts" use to warn about is not helping my psyche. I do think a lot is nonsense and propaganda of course now and try to adhere to the critical thinking test, but there is some real stuff going down. The American people are chaff to the ultra rich. I get the feeling many believe the world cares it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I checked to see if I had replied to this post. I'm surprised I didn't. I read it just after you published it.
    I too have thought I might be happier in Europe somewhere. But really, I am looking for a kinder, happier place, and any nation could go in the direction we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for responding now. Europe is seen as a happier place by most Americans, maybe due to the medical care? There are more safety nets, but they got serious problems. When I did this investigation, I realized I would trading old problems for new unfamiliar ones in Germany including the immense health and language barriers. The right wing is growing in Europe too and now they have had a resurgence of Covid. There is also the sticky problem of extreme eco-migration from people who will be leaving parts of the world that have become uninhabitable to human life. Also I think about NATO too, if USA collapses, life will change in Europe as well. It is true, I want a kinder and happier place but there's all sorts of ways for nations to go under. Let's hope Trump does not win or steal it this week.

      Delete