Sunday, June 12, 2022

New Life Rule: Never Give Anyone Advice or Be More Careful About It


Seriously I need to quit it.

One needs to ask first if someone wants your advice.

I don't have money, power or resources to help anybody anyhow. I can't even help myself. I'm barely staying out of the nursing home now, with mobility and other problems. 

I don't mind advice, some people's advice has gotten me out of a jam. One has to make it clear of course, whatever they decide is their decision at the final point. Some good friends gave me advice yesterday I liked. It may help solve a problem. Advice can help. We got car handles fixed on a car asking for help. We have been able to find solutions to problems ourselves.

Part of me wants to do good in the world, I guess whether that's based on faults or not. I even have tried to help homeless people from years ago. Being low on money but good on research, I'd help people search for resources. There were a few times, it helped. One young online acquaintance was able to find disabled housing and be freed of an abusive household. I helped one friend learn about PACE and find help during severe illness.

Other times things went worse for the person. They didn't always use my advice in this case or maybe just some of it.  Everyone's life is their own choices, but then you can be on the stick for giving bad advice if things went badly for your friend or acquaintance and they incorporated any of it. That can be a danger zone.  Then you're the person at fault. I once advised this one online friend on how to apply for disability and when she got turned down, she got really angry at me.

Some take the autistic analytical nature to try and get to the bottom of something or even help someone very wrong. I need to realize giving some neurotypical people advice pisses them off. I see myself as helping but some just get angry.  Some assume I am looking down at them. Well in our dog eat dog world where everything runs by status, maybe some probably have been looked down on before. They don't know me enough especially in online situations to know that is not how I operate.

One thing that's different between autistic and neurotypical culture, us Aspies do openly talk about our problems, even if they are bad among ourselves. There's less pressure to save face. We will give each other advice. Take it or leave it. We don't get pissed off at each other for it. In those circles, I can be more open. Some of my friends with autism, they have been burned so much in neurotypical land, they stay away except for necessary interactions like for business and commerce. 

I like a lot of neurotypicals, and want better communication with them, and have friends who are, but have to be more mindful of the advice thing. Of course people with autism can get bad advice too, and or be told they are "not enough" over and over. I've been told basically "Stop being autistic". Some may read this article and even say "Oh this is an excuse for your crappy advice and arrogant nature!"

One thing my husband has warned me, he thinks I am getting into too many fixes with people and that too many are using me as a sounding board or free counselor especially online. He has told me he wants me to be more careful with online interactions. While I've gotten good friends online, it can be complicated.  Sharing problems does not a friendship make there has to be some mutual interests and affection. Maybe I've erred and told people too many of my problems online too so did the same thing from my end. 

If people move on to better things or even life worsens and they haven't found solutions, then they "move on". I of course notice they are pulling away, and sometimes foolishly ask why and get anger in response. I don't realize in some cases there probably never was a friendship to begin with.  

 No one wants to be a project friend, I hated that too of course. When it's all about giving advice and "fixing you". In this case, I wasn't trying to make them a project friend or anything. I was thinking of solutions. I never was forceful about it like you have to do this but it was a bad idea over all. They took it all wrong.

I also have to make sure to avoid falling into this trap again, after ACON recovery, I did walk from some involuntary counselor positions like with the Army friend. On my end, I also had to learn not to tell people my problems too or at least save it for very close and mutual friends. Remember when I wrote this article:

Why You Never Tell People Your Problems

Which kind of sucks that things are this complicated but sadly they are. Here's an interesting Quora conversation "What is your opinion about telling or not telling people your problems?

There may be a codependency problem in wanting to "help" people so much. Maybe that's another onion layer, where my narcissistic family made me feel like I had to be "of use" to be considered worthy to anyone. It's putting me in a trap with people and bringing me to a place of hurt way too often.

Here I don't want to shut down all the "help", someone told me this week they saw me as being the "mother" of one group I am in so surely saw some positives in what I had to share. Here is a place where I have to seek some balance.


7 comments:

  1. I have been matchmaker a few times in the past, and then felt really bad when they got divorced. I would never matchmake today. I've had to learn the hard way not to overshare.
    The crumby thing is you always learn these things too late. I've started regularly saying "woulda , coulda, shoulda", about past regrets. It reminds me not to fret over past mistakes too much.
    Have you been getting out more to socialize?
    Hope your well - Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they taught some of this stuff in school instead of math, it probably would be more useful. Yeah matchmaking can be dangerous, if they divorce or the relationship goes bad, guess who is on the stick then. That's like the advice if it goes bad or their life goes bad and they tried any of the advice, watch out. The relationship is probably going to go down the tubes. This world is getting bad for a lot of people too. Feels like old ways of managing aren't working too.

      Once I set up a friend once on a date with a very socially awkward mutual friend. I warned him but the date went so badly, I think he was not happy with me. I overshared the other day at a woman's group, have to be cautious, I guess I idealize life being more open but have to be realistic. Agree about regrets. Guess there's a point we have to accept what happened. I tell myself I'm never going to be what some of these people demand, and time is short anyhow. Some judge me as a mirage, online can have limitations.

      A lot of circumstances we did not choose. I have seen a few people 1-2 at a time, I wear masks still, ask them to wear them like if we are inside. I've been going more places, the worry is always there, but have to live some of life. I went to a small town market that was outside but not crowded, things like this. It did make life somewhat better. I can't spend the rest of life in total isolation.

      Still don't want to sit in a room with over a certain number of people etc so no groups yet. How are you doing Sue? Hope you are doing well too. Yeah we are going to make our mistakes, can only do what we can do. With this, it will be live and learn.

      Delete
    2. I wish they taught a lot of more practical stuff in school. Like managing money; lots of basic life skills. I never used the math!
      Sue

      Delete
    3. Glad your getting out a bit. I have gone to the movies(not crowded),and been with a few friends; all with no mask. I have been to the doctors a lot , masked. Just found out I have breast cancer. I just started to feel normal again after Lyme, and now this. I just let go after I found out, because it's clear I can't control anything. It was a freeing feeling which I'm sure will end once I start treatment.
      I've just got one of those lives. I know you know how that feels.
      Sue

      Delete
    4. Yeah I never used the math either. Geometry and Algebra totally useless to me. Too many hours spent being stumped. LOL Yeah they need to do practical survival and life skills in school. I guess parents used to teach kids this but it's not happening, some parents abusive and don't care but many overworked or don't have the time.
      Glad you've gotten out with friends. We have to live our lives somewhat. Now that this is hitting the third year, it's insane. Bill Gates, Fauci and pals have destroyed millions of lives.

      Oh that's horrible you have breast cancer! Sorry to hear that. Cancer is always a very scary diagnosis too. Glad you were able to let it go to cope with it. Yeah treatment may complicate it. I hope it goes into remission and treatments are successful. Lyme is bad enough to deal with on it's own and now this. Yeah "one of those lives" no one prepares people for how things will be either. Thinking of you and hoping it works out.

      Delete
  2. I think if you discuss your problem/s with a person you are in a way inviting them to comment or make suggestions as to how you might overcome them. Most people just want to help if they can. It would be strange to think you just wanted to vent and didn't want to actually solve it. To suggest that in the wake of you laying a particular problem out that the person should go around the issue and ask themselves if you want their advice or not is asking too much as opposed to a natural give and take exchange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. If two people are going to talk about problems, why do some get so angry if one has ideas to solve it. It's your life, you don't have to do what I say and the other goes for my direction too. Also these particular problems were issues I have faced in my past, so how do you not expect some commentary then? The whole thing was messed up. I feel like I had a lot of time wasted Also there's a huge fair weather friend element to it all. I'm going to be more careful about investing time in some people. I'm worn out.

      Delete