Saturday, September 12, 2026

A Study: Poor People are Lonelier

 Men aren’t lonelier than everyone else. This group of people is.

The group of people are the poor.

If you are poor enough, and I've written about this many times, you are left out of the warp and weave of society. Poverty is one reason I no longer have a family. Poverty led to my being disabled in the first place. Poverty keeps me from doing activities I would rather be doing. In my case I am fortunate, I do have my husband and a few good friends despite being poor. I'm not really lonely as of late doing activities with husband and friends, but I've had those times in life. Society is indeed headed in a direction that is scary for social connection. Maybe once I figure out a new church or other things I can improve things even more. This article is true though, the poorer you are, the lonelier you will be. 

 For homeless people this is even worse, think about this, if you are homeless, there's no one close enough to be taking you in. That's the loneliest place to be. Can you imagine?
The Bible had a verse I still remember. 

Proverbs 19:4 “Wealth maketh many friends; but the poor is separated from his neighbour”

Doing stuff, hobbies, going out, and gas for visits all cost money.  Even if I get an art scholarship for an art class, I still have to pay something to be there. Other activities cost supplies, entrance fees and money for gas to get there. 

So, this doesn't surprise me.


The article talks about how the work world has changed, the low paid jobs are often outsourced so the workers don't feel embraced by the company. They are underlings kept separate from everyone else. The book "Bowling Alone" is mentioned, and how civic organizations have died out in America. Lower income people have far less groups to go to in other words and have to work more hours more often than not. 

They discuss how poverty itself can burden friendships since poor people often need more help and favors and how one's self esteem is affected negatively. Those who are single find dating much harder and too expensive. I talk about how the poor never are able to find each other, we are isolated from each other. Some may tell me go find people in your same situation, but it has felt impossible around here. I asked my husband many times "How come I never meet anyone in the same circumstances as myself"? I do online but IRL it's very rare. I befriend people from all walks of life instead. 

Society is changing in a way where the isolation is growing. There's less opportunities. I notice with older people they have groups to go to and participate in but many of those groups just have boomers and older and no one younger in them. I've been in a multitude of groups like this. It's better I did things that way instead of hiding at home. The library book club had people all 20 years older.  What happens when those groups all die off? I made an effort for community involvement and it paid off. Is part of the problem that only older people [boomers and above] have the money and social capital still that the predatory capitalists have now erased for anyone under a certain age? Are younger people having socialization problems? I've noticed young people seem quieter; I don't know if it is because they aren't going to talk that openly to a disabled old lady or if they are spending more time alone and it's taken a toll. How would I know?

 Most who have read this blog have seen me talk about how money has affected my life in organizations including churches.

Should people accept such a lonely society? Do you see how society is basically no longer working or it costs money to even be seen as a human being?
Here is a Substack article written on this Slate article.

"I am the male loneliness epidemic"


He's right about a lot in this article. I agree with it. He talks about the demise of social lives in American society. I addressed how we were forced to move away from each other years ago in my article "Economic Nomads in the Geography of Nowhere"

In some ways, I never recovered from that last move, while I came to accept life here and found the good things and a few friends, there was always part of me that thinking, "I'll be wrenched away from here too now". It was a theme of my life always being taken away from people and places. People need to have a HOME for life. Humans need connection and security. That's one reason American society has so many mental health problems. All this moving has ruined society as a whole. I hope in the future people won't be forced to move so much. 

As I have written too poverty ends belonging now in American society. 

He writes:

"I’m desperately lonely.

And not on a purely personal level. Compared to the past, we are all desperately lonely in the modern age.

Do you have 4-5 friends that would come over and play a game with you?

Do you entertain guests at least once every two weeks?

Have you ever been to a dinner party with a bunch of adults your age?

How often do you go over to someone’s house that you’re not related to?"


In my case I do see two friends one about every two weeks, and the other about once every 6-8 weeks, one lives around 20 miles away and the other 50-60. I could not bring 4-5 friends together unless I was doing something with my art club. My art club usually met around once a month. Autistics don't always get "friend groups", we usually befriend one on one or on occasion couples or do activities.

 I have never been to a dinner party outside of a church context. Some of my churches sponsored dinner parties but I know I could not meet the expenses of holding one myself though I attended a few in my first IFB including a large barbecue. That reminds me of my mother when she mocked me, asking me "Having 25 people in your home is not something that doesn't require work, you would know this how?" That woman has never been lonely which gives me some strange thoughts about life. I never go to anyone's house though this is complicated that some have stairs and it's hard for me to get into their houses. Otherwise I probably would visit more of their houses. I would have some friends and me meet at the library and other places sometimes to get around this problem.

He is right about the death of the extended family. My mother grew up safe and secure among literally 100 relatives. There was a small town that was full of my relatives up to the early 1970s on the side of the family. Most moved away starting in the 1960s. When I read old books like James T. Farrell and Saul Bellows, the social and family networks even in big cities are VAST and long in duration. That doesn't apply to society today.

"In the early 1900s, it was completely normal to be in proximity to your uncles and aunts, cousins, second cousins, third cousins twice removed (I don’t know what that actually means), And so on.

He talks about how people were more interdependent with one another. People weren't eating alone and going days and days without seeing or talking to another human being. We have each other but in-between times I see my friends or art club I can go days without talking to anyone else except online. One reason I DO live in small towns, is I do like getting to know clerks, and others. That does happen if you live in a small enough place. My town is still small enough to have vestiges of the old school friendliness here and there.

"Society used to operate on a web of relationships between people that were interdependent on each other.

The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker. Each of them had a trade and something they could be relied on for. Some of you reading this likely have a last name such as, Fletcher, Gardener, Baker, Smith, etc. All of these are jobs that cemented someone’s place in society. If you have to go and get your bread everyday from the baker, you’re probably going to develop some kind of relationship with him.

“Hey Tim, how are the kids?”

For the first time in human history, this interdependence has been obfuscated.

He talks about how women while they had to work all day cleaning the house, cooking and taking care of children got far more time to be social, caretake and volunteer. "Bowling Alone" talked about how this helped with societal connections in past decades. Many times, I have mentioned when I was in my 30s talking to Silent Generation friends in my old rural community, most said life had far better for them than their daughters. Most of my silent generation friends are long deceased now. At least two told me, "Life used to be better!" People weren't so overworked. 

I don't think life was supposed to be like this. He makes a list of changes. Maybe life was meant to be more than just living in an economic prison where life is all about money and work.  The rest of America knows America lost the plot. Even many realize most of the evangelical world seemed to sign on more with predatory capitalism than the actual teachings of Jesus Christ. Some of us discern the AI cage being built and are already being harassed to death and punished for not having money over and over! I've noticed AI and abusive mega corporations abuse those without money most of all, or who need an extra day to pay a bill.  He also talks about how society is rapidly declining. Seriously where is the motive to have children in a world like this, so they will be broke and alone too? Even with those regretful parents, time is so short, you can tell a lot of the regret is pure exhaustion. 

He agrees too.

"Work was meant to supply us with the things we need to live, not be the reason we live.

We have embraced materialism in an effort to be fat and happy, but we only got fat. The world is so inundated with cheap plastic from China that is has entered our brains.

The modern person works more than his ancestors for money that can be endlessly printed. All to come home to an empty apartment in a city full of strangers.

Aren't we overdue long ago for a backlash against all this crap?  Do real countercultures happen instead of sponsored ones by intelligence from Laurel Canyon?  Maybe in real life, think about new ways to do stuff. I try to use small businesses as much as possible. I try to get to know store clerks and others I do business with. I still want to try and find a church that is more old school and follows old ways with social connections. If you can buy something local do it. That's gotten harder but I try. Some new thing may be spending less time online, I will still blog, and getting more involved in local art happenings as my body allows. 

Are more thinking people realizing we need something very different? Where people finally say "ENOUGH!"  to a depersonalized, asocial economic slavery and oppression society. Poor people shouldn't be lonelier. Money shouldn't determine having others in your life. 

 How can we go back to better ways? How can we not let technology rules us or get led by the nose into lives with the soul washed away?  I read my state wants to put a tracker in every car to track your miles and where you go, for the future carbon credits. I told some people on my Facebook, isn't it time we say ENOUGH to this crap. "We don't want to do it!"

We are losing even what it means to be human in this mess. Is money the price of even having human relationships?  Add AI and it's even worse. There are parts of my personality that yearn for the past, and there's definitely a reason for it. With poor people being lonely,  we have to try and reach out to others, and in those things I had some nice things happen. They are throwing up barrier after barrier in front of people. I hope more speak out. We don't have to do things this way nor do we want to. Reach out to any lonely people you run across too. Be social. It's not easy for autistic me always. I don't want to live in a boring technocracy where dollar signs are your whole identity. America is getting to that point. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad that I forwarded this article to you! As always, a deeply eloquent, thoughtful, and well-written analysis. Actually, even if you didn't read the article, the excerpts that you highlighted will serve to put the point across -- that people don't work to live anymore, but live to work. And barely, at that, as our current malaise goes. Though I'd say the rich are just as miserable as their poorer counterparts -- I remember transcribing an interview with Kirk Krekorkian, the man who built much of the garish '80s-era Las Vegas landmarks, and most of it was him moaning about this equally famous person, or that one, with whom he'd gotten into tiffs about something or other (and usually, it was the stupidest things you can imagine, like their overall demeanor, or some random comment that rubbed him the wrong way). If we could have given it a title, I would have called it: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch.

    The only difference, of course, as the old joke goes -- the rich just have way more money to make their misery feel more tolerable, though from the way you hear so many of them moan, you'd think they were being dragged off to the salt mines.

    I imagine this is why you've been pushing to go out a bit more lately, right? Because I know you just light up around people, even if they're strangers, and you get that glow all over -- which I think everyone does, as long as they get to have that same type of one-on-one interaction, something that's harder to get from a screen.

    It's a complicated subject, since we will first need to do the massive political course correction, followed by the econo one, just to give people the space they need, in order to "stop and smell the roses," and carve out more time for their personal interests. That's one reason why I do advocate for the college experience -- because most of the folks in my personal inner circle all came from those years. I doubt that would have happened, had I just stayed home, or gone to the local community college (which, to be fair, was nothing like it is now, though from my recollection, their offerings were fairly basic at the time). Colleges are indeed a "relationship supercharger," as the article alludes, and that aspect needs to be strengthened, and encouraged, if we are to avoid cementing the overall stratification of society as we know it.

    And that's before we get to the whole virtual circus, which has left people feeling more alienated and isolated than they've ever been -- hey, wait a minute, was that supposed to happen?

    I only have to contrast the wide-eyed vision of this song, by Rush, which seems laughably dated, amid the darkness of Elon Musk and friends:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3t4OmPPVkE&list=RDU3t4OmPPVkE&start_radio=1

    With this eerily prophetic number from Tracy Chapman (scroll down in the comments to find the lyrics, but they're there) -- keep in mind, she wrote this in 2003! But as I hear it again, I can't help but feel, "Yup, you nailed it":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3t4OmPPVkE&list=RDU3t4OmPPVkE&start_radio=1

    Suffice to say, there is much work to be done, in terms of building a better world. But I think a lot more people have cottoned on to "the catch" of all this alluring technology, and its implications. --Mr. Peep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr. Peep for forwarding this article to me. Hey I always like what you send to me. This country is horrible now, even other people in other parts of the world come here and think this place is insane, commenting how there is no community, no joy, nothing to do that doesn't cost endless money and how LONELY this society is. Remember that one woman from Portugal I met online who said she hated it here, and may move back because things were so antisocial? I hope she escaped this place.

      Americans only care about work now, it looks like everything from religion to bowling are gone now. I think the rich have to be miserable too, think about it as they destroyed all the shopping, there's no malls or bookstores for them to go to either, sitting alone in your apartment just buying crap online is not the same experience. Some of the rich jerks need to realize if you destroy society and make it look like the backdrop to RoboCop, you aren't going to have nice clubs, and places to spend your ill gotten gains. When we were watching that Bukowski movie, remember how he was going to all those race tracks for his enjoyment and gambling and I said, that kind of stuff doesn't even exist anymore. If there's no fun to be had, and they ruin the weather with their weather warfare crap and turned everyone into deadened zombies via their mRNA BS, then "fun" is going to come to a screeching halt for them too.

      Well remember narcissists spend their lives bitching, bitching bitching. LOL I know I complain a lot but I at least look for a little bit of fun, but the narcissistic mantra is, and be realistic, most of these rich jerks are on the Cluster B list somewhere, "NOTHING IS EVER GOOD ENOUGH" and "I WILL RUIN EVERYTHING JUST BECAUSE"

      Yeah I want to go out a little bit while I still can. The money situation makes me feel like I miss out on too much and remember Lipedema is progressive. I'm already walking kind of hunched over and age is gaining on me now. We are both getting older and there's only so much time on earth, and don't want to spend every hour holed up in an apartment that takes all my money.
      Its funny you see me as lighting up around people. LOL Well thanks for writing that, I guess it's better I do, maybe I enjoy SOME of them. LOL Humans do need some social interaction. Remember the ones controlling society all want us alone in pods like that movie Matrix and narcissists never want people actually talking to each other. Apply the microcosm to the macrocosm here. Making us lonely gives them more control!

      continuing...

      Delete

    2. Well you know I believe America is going to crash, I know we disagree on this and you believe America the ship can survive and not sink. I and my one friend talk about the collapse of the USA and it's economy all the time. I don't know if we will be in small nation 'states" or what the future will hold, hopefully not like the book "The Road" but wish someone would stop the assholes now trying to make WWIII happen. Hopefully the conspiracy people are right about nukes being a con but if they are not, we can all be pretty screwed.

      Sick of these old psychopathic geezers all trying to destroy everyone's life before they shuffle off the mortal coil. Someone needs to tell turtle guy that everyone thought was dead to freaking retire already.

      An economy based on nothing but wealth extraction is doomed to failure. I am surprised Americans have put up with this crap. Remember I think the no kings was to defuse REAL protest, we didn't need rich old people protesting but the young in the streets saying everything costs too damn much. If another protest happens I may counterprotest with a sign "Its time to talk about the economy" and "Say No to Digital ID".

      Delete

    3. . College did work out for you. I think in your case it was beneficial as hell. You became a writer and got book's published and got to work in newspapers which is nothing to sneeze at. Even now you have some writing seen on a national level. [LOL don't want to doxx us here] Your time at college was a wise decision. I do think you got something out of it on the self growth level and learning about the world and also meeting people. I think internet college is a joke because who do you meet, may as well watch Youtube videos online and learn for free with library books. College was not a wise choice for me, it cost too much, my abusive background had some repercussions, with the "friends chosen" for me, and I was reading more books on things I really was interested in in the library. I should have done vo-Ed and put financial security first and gotten out of Dodge far sooner. I did like my major, some memories are enjoyable, but the mechanics of it, just didn't work for me. I think for most college did serve a purpose in the past, my own situation was complicated, since my autism was not dealt with and health problems were the ticking time bomb, along with my family's manipulations. However college is too expensive now, and most kids aren't going to be able to go. It just doesn't pay off, and yes this will cost people some social connections. I think teens need some freedom in high school too, and I wish I had lived closer to my high school and not been so much under my parents thumb. Remember how I told you the other day, she had to move of us of VA to get more control over us and that's why I was living far in the suburbs needing "rides" everywhere where in VA, I could walk to everything including my schools. Jokes on her, I guess since the house we moved out of sold for 1.3 million recently.

      College will be over with unless the economy is completely rehauled. Job assignment? Number of majors corresponding to actual jobs available? Removal of the administrative parasites? Probably the future is dumbed down society. The changes to our local library have me appalled, I do have to go complain somewhere. I can see them closing the place if they keep it up.

      College needs revamped. Maybe we need new kind of ones and new ones to be founded with lecture societies. LOL I know I have these weird dreams.

      I'm surprised a counter culture against the web hasn't happened. Some may say why you talk to people online all the time. Yeah being DEAF makes this complicated for me because talking is impossible for me in the normal way. So that makes it complicated. I do think while I will continue this blog and messaging and emailing friends we both need to leave the internet more, and not be holed up in apartment. The Covid debacle gave many people new bad antisocial habits. I need to find a church again, maybe I just need to pick "the best" one I can even if there's things I don't agree with [who would have the most sincere non-money grubbing clergy or pastors?] and spend more time doing things. We need some community out there and need one that would be better to people of more modest economic means instead of seeing us as walking wallets for a rich pastor to go on vacation with. I know my body doesn't always cooperate. The internet is messing people's minds up and also there is the possibility, I think about this where one day they could just SHUT IT OFF. The crypto kids should ponder that possibility. If we had a huge war, the internet would go down. Guess no one would insist on bill payments at least. With Rush, I have negative memories, the art kid clique that rejected me in high school were all Rush fanatics. I remember the 80s making technology look HOPEFUL, all those bright colors being used to make the "plebes" eager to pick up the new toys.

      Hey give me the link to the Tracy Chapman song again, you accidentally gave me the first one twice. I know the copy and paste functions do that to me a lot.

      Delete
  2. Here's the link for "Hard Wired," as you requested:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhl2KtsZKEM

    The lyrics are a bit further down in the comments, so you may have to search for them, but they're there.

    I think it'll take time for the anti-Web, if that's what we want to call it, to materialize. But I can see embers of it flickering out there, trust me. There's a piece from the Guardian that you need to see -- which contrasts one writer's views of the initial euphoria, versus the reality of what it's become -- which really sums it up for me.

    I think you have to separate the "morning after" of your college experience from the class side, and the social side, which did give you a lift when you really needed it -- you're too bright for the whole vo-tech route. And you need to qualify romanticizing it too much. It's fine for the people who do it, but I don't think it works for everyone. There has to be a place of knowledge for the sake of it -- if everything becomes wedded to this whole transactional mentality, where it's only valued if it's "useful" to someone or other, then we're not fully realizing who we are as human beings, and perpetrating the whole negative malicious infrastructure that works so hard to squash it...like all the stuff Tracy Chapman was warning against in that song of hers, perhaps!

    But the other spoke of the wheel, so to speak, is to set up society where we don't force people to constantly make all these silly non-choices (food or medicine, taking classes that interest me versus that "career" stuff, rent or electricity, et cetera), which the breakdown of your body -- and your full health -- undoubtedly put you in, which I do recognize. So it's a complicated subject, and a many-sided beast, to put it rather mildly, but hopefully, one we can tackle with a bit more ardor and purpose -- once we finally put the current madness behind us. --Love, Mr. Peep

    ReplyDelete