Tuesday, November 27, 2018

A Narcissistic Family Can Spread the Smoke of Disrespect Until A Scapegoat Walks




I had a commenter post on one of the Tiffany Sedaris posts.

Someone who Agrees About Tiffany Sedaris

Here is what they said to me:

AnonymousNovember 26, 2018 at 10:50 PM
I personally knew and loved Tiffany. Met her when I was 21 in Raleigh, she was living at home and had a fun sarcastic relationship with her brother Paul and her parents. At the time Amy still lived at home and was waiting tables. 
Tiffany was hilarious but she was also very difficult. She would turn on a dime. Love you and feed you, compliment you and bend over backwards for you, and then you were dead to her because she misinterpreted something.
Years later I ended up in Boston and tracked her down. I was excited at the thought of catching up. We hung [sic] out a couple if times and then she called me accusing me of something I still don't quite understand. I was seated next to an old boyfriend of hers at a Christmas party, I didn't know,I didn't know he was her old boyfriend, she had been the one who did the breaking up so I was a little thrown by the accusation. I tried to talk to her, but she never spoke to me again. Year's later when I was in Raleigh I heard she was in town and called her dad Lou. He was very nice and wanted she and I to see one another but she wouldn't consider talking to me.
I loved Tiffany and only wished her well but she lived a life of distrust and clung to past grievances I know her stint at Elan left scars but if you are unwilling to move forward and let go that cant be blamed on her family.
Nobody knows you like family, and yes there's another side of us all that differentiates us from our family but invalidate what they ecperienced. Tiffany had some genuine problems, she would walk into burger king and talk to everyone, not individually but like she was in stage as an entertainer, and the she could just as easily start a fight. 
Maybe you should just consider that Lisa, David, Gretchen ,Amy and Paul all knew Tiffany in a way we never did. They loved her but when she was reckless it affected them, her death has left a mark on them that you clearly don't understand.
Btw, I appreciated David's New Yorker story. I'm from a family of 7, actually I'm one of those family's David refers to as 'every other' house. I grew up down the street. We went to a beach cottage one week a summer and I gave a sister who is a disrupter. She's beautiful and loving but she's exhausting and I think I understand. Maybe you should all try to also understand.


 Here was my response:


Imagine being scapegoated all the time, which includes smear campaigns, trust and spontaneity end at that door. I've had a few people [cousins and others] in the family tell me, "you gave us false accusations" but when I got down to the core of things, there was real disrespect I was reacting against.

Here is where the smoke and fog and mirrors labels the scapegoat as "difficult" where if a person was to bring up a person's ex among a normal person, they could say "Don't go there." and that would be respected, but a scapegoat, they are "paranoid", "over-reacting" and always WRONG no matter what they do or say. Maybe she erred truly and she came too quick to judgment in your case, but understand this is the back story. A scapegoat is always put in the place of having to defend themselves. 

I had to cut everyone off who chose my family and saw me as only they did. Notice here in this article how my cousin calls me "paranoid", that is the whirlwind the scapegoat gets caught in, and honestly the only way to fix it is to walk. 

https://fivehundredpoundpeeps.blogspot.com/2016/10/am-i-paranoid-do-my-feelings-make.html

So did she misinterpret things? Maybe, Maybe not, but the overall abuse and disrespect that forms a scapegoat's existence is horrible. There's a few on the outer ring who may not have malicious intent. I don't think my cousin had malicious intentions, but you see he had been programmed to see me a certain way as paranoid and difficult.

This is one way a scapegoat's life can be destroyed even in subtle ways by the narcissistic smear campaigns. My rule never to live in a town as an adult that any relatives lived in I believe saved me from a lot more grief.  I couldn't trust anyone who was friendly with my mother and family for you see they infused that poison. I wasn't imagining it. I had no other choice.


Some may consider that draconian, but what else could be done? You see for I was WRONG, no matter what I said or did or in any attempts to fix the situation.
The fact you knew the rest of her family and gained a negative picture of her via them does not surprise me. You remind me of my cousin, you aren't a malicious guy or gal, you seemed to have real fond feelings for Tiffany--I believe my cousin had some for me, but the overall picture is there. You were programmed to see her as "the problem", just like what happened to me.

I do not agree with your statement, "No one knows you like family". My family does not know me and I am a stranger to them and vice versa. Did Tiffany have genuine problems? Most likely. I have problems, but those don't arise in a vacuum. It's interesting to me how the problems of others are deemed acceptable in these family systems while for others it is used as an excuse for how they are disrespected.

Her entire family were all entertainers, so she copied that example. It looked like a free-for all from what David writes with everyone competing with who can be SEEN. As for love, since I don't personally know these people, who knows, I had David's words to go on and other pieces of the puzzle, but I don't believe many scapegoats are loved. Love means respect you see, and I can tell that was lacking very much so. My family does not love me and it was something I had to face.

I was considered "exhausting" even being a quiet bookworm Aspie. Some people on first glance consider me dull and boring until they find out I have a mind. I'm no drama queen, I'm a retreater to the background if anything and an extreme introvert. But the scapegoaters labeled me a certain way. Same with Tiffany.

While the world applauds the extroversion of her siblings, her own extroversion is seen as "difficulty". No one that ever knew my family or mother ever saw me in any decent way.

 I dare say the same happened to Tiffany. Even normal human personality traits when one is scapegoated are seen as "bad" and dysfunctional. Even if she had mental illness, I can tell she was seen "at fault". Even in my own anxiety disorders and depression, I was a "bad" person even though they instigated all that to begin with. One giant cost of being a scapegoat is how disrespect becomes the smoke they walk in sometimes for life until they manage to get out. This is why so many of us end up going no contact with the entire family and even all those who knew them.


********************************************
I cleaned out my own life from everyone who disrespected me because of my narcissistic family. This as many of you who are long time readers of this blog knows this included dozens of people including family friends and even two college friends. I live in a far different space now in my head and in my life, because there's no one left whose disrespecting me. I don't put up with people who put me down anymore. It has made my life far happier. There's times on this blog however when I do want to discuss some deep issues from my past. This is one where even my own horror at how badly my own reputation had been damaged from my family was a great part of my own pain years ago. This is one of the worse aspects of being scapegoated. Your name is MALIGNED and there's no fixing it no matter what you try to do. The only decision is to walk. I have warned people don't stay attached to the system thinking you can change things. Save yourself and get out.

Part of the being maligned is being told that "you won't let go" or are distrustful. How could anyone have an open and trusting nature after being abused as a scapegoat? If someone was talking to an ex, wouldn't most people be wary? Maybe a few innocents do get caught up in the walls a scapegoat has to raise to protect themselves, but then the over-all negative views of a scapegoat are poison to begin with.

 The decision that I would rather be alone, then take abuse or disrespect was a decision that changed my life. Some good friendships did survive and I have my husband, but honestly as I have written before it was shocking how far the poison had infused and how long it took me to clean it all out. This is something I think people need to be warned of in this process.

What is scary is how narcissists can program people even on outer rings to see the scapegoat in a negative fashion. This happened to me. Narcissists have a talent for programming people to always see the scapegoat as the problem. Well that's what the definition of the scapegoat, the carrier of all the family dysfunction. Many an ACON blog talks about the harm done within a family to a scapegoat's life but it often goes far further to all the family friends and even to the view of a person within a community. The smoke of disrespect leaves the narcissistic household and literally blows down the street.

This commenter claims to be a family friend of the Sedaris family and if they are being truthful on this, the fact that a family friend sees Tiffany as the "problem" too, does not surprise me. I saw this happen with many others. It is a part of the soul murder that is inconceivable  to others, but also ensures there will be no allies even in a community. I tell other ACONs avoid living in any same towns as your relatives. I believe I was saved a lot of grief by living long distance on that one alone.

I had many others tell me, your mother loves you, your family loves you, etc, but if there is no respect there is no love. That applies to all relationships.

My Mother's Second Daughter

Family Friends

13 comments:

  1. Hi Peep, I'm sorry to hear that a troll came to your older blog to post gaslighting and invalidating comments five years after you published your original article on Tiffany Sedaris' death and her brother's smear campaigning articles against her. The commenter admitted that he or she knew the Sedaris family and had met Tiffany. Her comments also remind me of comments your malignant narcissistic mother, former friends, siblings, and other people made that you mentioned in your previous blogs.

    Last week, my adopted sister betrayed me, so I know that my malignant narcissistic adopted mother is engaging in subtle, malicious smear campaign against me and is turning my sister against me again. I want no part of this battle, so I am quiet with my sister. Your siblings, cousins, and relatives betrayed you big time. I'm sorry you had to lose many people in your family. But you have a good husband, and he is hard to replace. He better not betray you! But these people who betrayed you are something else. Out of forty people who betrayed you, you will find many new friends who will be there despite the fact you stopped contacting your malignant narcissistic mother and other toxic people who chose her over you.

    All these comments about how narcissistic family loved Tiffany and how Tiffany was in the wrong or mentally ill for not keeping in touch with them. David Sedaris never stopped writing or talking about Tiffany. I found some updated articles on David Sedaris that showed up since 2014 when you received last comments in your original blog on Tiffany Sedaris. Here is an article that tells you about David Sedaris. You will vomit when you read David's claim that Tiffany looked like her mother and had a personality that was most likely her mother. An author who wrote this article knew better than believing David. The author added that Mr. Sedaris was a horrible father and that the mother was innocent. Here is the article's link: http://thesubjectsupposedtoknow.us/david-sedaris-is-a-terrible-person-and-it-concerns-me-that-people-like-his-books/

    (cont.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you know what is scary, she is not the first one to come along and disparage Tiffany, which tells you some scary stuff about narcissistic families in our society and the treatment and view of people with would be or actual mental illnesses.
      The theme, "She's so difficult" resounds, like that's an excuse to treat people like shit. Even there that's projection because who are the difficult people in the narcissist/scapegoat equation?

      Oh sure her comments reminded me too of things my mother, former friends and others said. In my case I was the ultimate wall-flower but trust me, shy, assertive, aggressive, outgoing, extraverted, loud, quiet, perfect--lol the scapegoat can't do anything right. You are WRONG, BAD, "DIFFICULT" just for existing.

      I noticed all disparaged my feelings too. That's part of the recipe, how dare you protest your treatment or show any anger or upset, "you have not MOOOOVED ON< or FORGIVEN" [even as abusers continue their abuse]

      Yeah it's scary your adopted sister is being worked on by your narcissistic adopted mother. They never give up do they even 25 years later? I realized with horror how my mother destroyed every relationship I had in common with her, and ruined friendships/other relationships on purpose. She even tried to turn teachers against me though in the case of a few good ones that did not succeed. I am sorry to hear you can't trust your sister and she has gone back to your malignant narc abusive adopted mother who abused her too.

      They know how to operate subtle campaigns against people. Notice how this commenter came on full of "concern", that's how the game is down with smiles. "Oh I LOVED HER, but she was "DIFFICULT"/"EXHAUSTING" [Oh really?]

      I understand you going quiet. Hey I tried to talk things out with cousins, siblings and others, and got no where. They were so programmed that I was the terrible, the bad one and all my emotions were invalid and did not matter, I had no chance whatsoever. I still remember the betrayal of my 30 year old friendship from college, when she took a look at this blog and spit on everything I tried to accomplish and stood up for. I realized then I had an enemy in my midst.

      Yeah I lost so many people but really did I ever have them? I kept the caring and loving people and ditched the rest sometimes that's all you can do. Scapegoats sometimes end up totally alone too, I had some good people left at least.

      continuing...

      Delete
    2. So you are right I am very fortunate to have my husband. Yes I agree out of the 40 betrayers, I do have some new friends and old good ones who stuck by me. It is better to be alone then to even stick with abusers. I consider it impervative to warn scapegoats, don't fall into the trap of keeping people who don't respect you, just because you fear being alone. It's not worth it. The relationships are mirage, they aren't real they don't care about you. Even with the millionaire ex-friend, i used to get emotional when she left--we only visit twice a year, but I was realizing with horror, she could take or leave me, she didn't share the same emotions. These things were replicated with many of the others like when my sister moved out of state in the early 1990s and I was crying--not full blown bawling, just watery eyes, and she got angry and looked at me with disdain. Facing all this betrayal and what I had did change me. I would never wish for anyone to go through what I did, especially when I faced facts about the poison my evil mother had infused through my life. I see it with Tiffany. Think about it a family friend who used to love and hang out with her [supposedly--remember this internet] went out of the way to defend her already famous and millionaire brother, because she was "so exhausting". After Aunt Scapegoat died, I still remember the "cats" line in her obitutary. I know that obituary was written to make her a "nothing". They all went on Facebook--I still had contact with a few on there, and wrote "What a rebel" she was. Just sick. The whole labels never ended. If you are with a group of people trying to make you something you are not or refuse. That only answer is to kick them all out of your life.

      Every Scapegoat gets the family loves you crap even as the abuse is even SEEN by the betraying bystanders.

      Thanks for that article. I agree with that author about Sedaris. One can tell that if a sibling spits in the mouth of another sibling, that could be a dog eat dog, narcissistic jungle atmosphere.

      It doesn't sound like kindness and love were advanced. The lack of empathy for Tiffany is glaring. I wonder what happened to her art work too? I have tried to give away art in advance for what I have not sold but still have a enough of it, where I remain in horror of them ever getting their grubby hands on it and destroying it or something.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you spoke up in defense of Tiffany and other adult children of narcissistic parents, especially malignant narcissistic parents, who want nothing to do with their abusers. The author of comments just told you how Tiffany reacted when she saw her siblings, parents, and relatives. Tiffany wanted nothing to do with them! Unfortunately, since she spent time in Elan, an institution that has been defuncted, Tiffany was unsuccessful in gaining independence from her parents and siblings. Something horrible happened to Tiffany during her teens and twenties that she ended up depending on her family members, despite her preferences stay away from them.

    My adopted brother and sisters (two) went through hell for years because our malignant adopted narcissistic mother ruined their lives by sending them away during their teenage years. Two of them spent many years dealing with horrors in programs like Elan or even spent times on programs that were worse than Elan for adults. They went through horrors that are too graphic to describe here. I could tell you that Tiffany probably dealt with similar horrors that forced her to spend times in her parents' homes rather than living at least 1,000 miles away from her family. The commentator just described how Tifanny reacted when she dealt with her narcissistic siblings and people she did not want to see. The commentator might be a toxic person whom Tiffany wanted nothing to do with for years.

    I know for a fact that I want nothing to do with my malignant narcissistic adopted mother, her friends who would gaslit and invalidated me, and abusive people that my adopted mother loved being around with after they abused me. For example, I had an abusive teacher who hit me, and Paula befriended her.

    Tiffany sounded like she stopped walking on eggshells and started to be assertive when she refused to see toxic people and her narcissistic relatives. Unfortunately, Tiffany did not live further away from her family, and several of her siblings have been in the entertainment industry. David is a satirist writing for a high society magazine, and Amy was an actress in a lesser known TV series. Well, who wants to be with abusive people? All those claims that Tiffany hurt them and how Tiffany was charming them are BS! I'm sure it is a smear campaigning statement since Tiffany died without giving these people something they wanted--their narcissistic supplies.
    (cont.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah why would Tiffany react with positivity to people who had spent their whole live putting them down? I said the same thing to cousins. I got no answer. They were so used to the asskissing of the head narcissists we were supposed to do it all by default.

      Elan has even been written about elsewhere on line as a place of horrors, but yeah the "get over it crowd" has no ideas of how such things can impact a person or create PTSD/CPTSD.

      Life can be very harsh on those who do not find financial and or other independence, being dependent or needing help from abusers, can be very painful stuff. Yes it sounds like your adopted brothers and sisters went through absolute hell to the point it destroyed them. I wonder how
      One thing that can happen to abused children with parents of some means they will send them off to be packed away in wilderness camps, residential homes, and sometimes psych wards. I was threatened with being packed away but my mother's spendaholic ways, probably rescued me indirectly from this fate. I wonder about people who can't even get or understand, that no one would give up seeing a family [who wants to live without a family or love in this world] unless said family had been terrible to or abused them? They just don't get it, and they buy the loving superficial pictures presented to them by two faced narcissists. I would meet people even into adulthood, who told me, "Oh your parents were such nice people". On high school friend wrote and said "You seemed like a close knit family", what a joke that was. They didn't live close enough to hear all the screaming I guess, and further down the road. It does sound like to me Tiffany was doing her best to find her own life, and doing her art work and not walking on eggshells. Her housing problems as written of in these articles, is something that happens to many low income people and something I doubt there was much empathy for among the millionaire set.

      My mother befriended my enemies too. She even would stay friends with all the ex-wives, boyfriends and girlfriends of everyone in my family, I guess for leverage if anyone crossed her. So I am not surprised your adopted mother got all chummy with the teacher that hit you.

      Delete
  3. Tiffany's siblings, particularly David and Amy, are famous for mocking Tiffany in their works. David wrote articles about Tiffany and gained fame for giving adult children of narcissistic bad memories of dealing with people who gaslit and invalidated them. Amy used a caricature of Tiffany and mocked her in her comedy shows or her book. I do not like Amy's work and am glad I was able to avoid seeing her in movies. I don't care for Amy Sedaris so I don't watch her shows nor watch movies she might be on over the years. I don't recall watching Amy in certain scenes in movies, so I probably dodged the bullet and avoided all of her films, as I had different tastes that Amy does.

    I do not like David Sedaris' "Now We Are Five" article and black and white photographs of the family in the 1960s and 1970s. The pictures showed me an unhappy girl who had short haircut (Tiffany), three happy older sisters who had long hairstyles who also look like Tiffany, an obnoxious boy who was too showy for my taste (David), and a boy (the youngest brother) and a man (father) who appeared to be far out of the picture. The mother is a typical malignant narcissistic mother and a narcissistic wife that every man should avoid marrying.

    Marrying a narcissistic woman like Tiffany and our malignant narcissistic mothers make men much worse and bring worse in every man. These men have children with a malignant narcissistic mother and produced narcissistic children. Their wives do not love nor respect them, and their children could follow suit. Some of their children grew up to be rotten people like David and Amy Sedaris, some children might emasculate them, and sadly they have good children who committed suicide or died heartbrokenly. If I have a son or sons, I will warn them against marrying a woman like my adopted narcissistic mother and Tiffany's mother.

    I boycotted David Sedaris' books and magazine subscriptions that contain his articles about his narcissistic siblings' and mother's successes and contain his possible false claims that Tiffany committed suicide. David claimed that Tiffany wrote a suicide note that was 8-pages but did not reveal the content of her letter. Well, narcissistic people could insist that people commit suicide or have a severe mental illness such as paranoid schizophrenia. (cont.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to think a 8 page suicide letter had some serious pain behind it, and he emphasizes her grammar, doing the capital Bs in it, which kind of bugged me. He never told us what was IN the letter or even basically what it was about. It makes me feel sad, she felt she had no one to turn to. When I see legions of homeless people who have nowhere to go or very lonely people who have no friend to call on, I wonder how many grew up as scapegoats, and how many ended up so alone because of this. Even with mental illness, as I have written on here, you try and get someone help and support, if you can do so, you don't throw them away. We know at least once via writing, she tried to contact her brother at a theatre and he refused to see her. I used to watch Strangers with Candy, my relationship with that show was strange, as I identified more with the main character in that she was an 'outcast' [I've never been in jail or a high school drop-out] always trying to seek after love, but there was some inherent meanness to that show that bothered me even then. The craft book making fun of poor people really bugged me the most.

      We are in culture now that awards narcissism, sad to say. Families are now built on the corporate model, and other models in our society, that make it all about competition and dog eat dog. Sometimes success comes out of these families but at a very high price. I can tell that some of the children of my siblings are on the way to success at all costs, they have the closed down emotions and other attributes I was unable to replicate.

      Delete
  4. David is a self-described satirist, so you need to be careful when you are around with sarcastic people. Malignant narcissistics like using sarcasm to make fun of and mock people. Sarcasm, irony, and satire are part of malignant narcissistic's favorite figure of speech. Some narcissistic like my adopted mother claim that they have a good sense of humor or are brilliant people. Their claims of having a good sense of humor and intellectual abilities, and that the love of sarcasm and satire is a sign of intelligence. It is all bulls---!
    Here is a list of articles on David Sedaris that you might be interested:
    https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2013/12/a-friend-of-a-woman-who-took-her-life-stands-up-to-david-sedaris/

    https://www.noted.co.nz/currently/profiles/david-sedaris-us-humourist-tragic-family-story/

    https://www.coursebb.com/2017/11/14/literary-article-review-now-we-are-five-by-david-sedaris/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah sarcasm is like oil and water to me. I like humor don't get me wrong, but there is a difference between cruel sarcasm and funny irony. Thanks for those other links too.

      Delete
  5. "I do not agree with your statement, 'No one knows you like family'. My family does not know me and I am a stranger to them and vice versa" -- yes, and many domestic violence counselors will support you in that statement. They will reiterate that many families are full of members who are only interested in money, jockeying for power, and making sure one of their own is scapegoated and kept out of the vision of society (who might see the scapegoating and abuse and 'tell on the family'). That is why these families use gaslighting ("Oh, she's crazy. Don't listen to her! ...") and isolation. How do they isolate? Through smear campaigns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lise, yeah I have heard that mantra before, "no one knows you like your family" so even if your family has labeled you with the most negative labels for life, I guess these types think a person should just sit there and take it. Sadly many do, and believe their families are "RIGHT" and they spiral down, some don't even escape at all like my Aunt Scapegoat believing what they have been told about themselves. I agree the domestic violence abusers will agree. My family is like that only interested in money, power, success, and status. It's competition all the way and these are the most likely families to have scapegoats as they compete their way to success. Yes they silence the scapegoats via the gaslighting, even here we see someone who believed the programming, a would be neighbor or family friend, who bought the family script, hook, line and sinker and never questioned it. Every scapegoat can tell tales of how they were isolated. I feel for anyone who still lives in the town of their narcissists, they can turn whole communities against someone. Even when I lived in my old small town, I saw people who had been turned into complete pariahs, and suspected narcissists had something to do with it.

      Delete
  6. It is possible Tiffany was really difficult, but there are people who are scapegoats in their families of origins and treated terribly even without the mental illness, drug abuse, employment issues, etc. I also believe everything you say. I know my family tells others that I have always been difficult and have "mental issues." Despite that my therapist, who has treated me for the last 10 years, has told me that the only mental problems I seem to have is trauma from growing up in a fundamentalist sect and from a narcissistic family of origin.

    ReplyDelete