Sunday, June 21, 2020

Mr. and Mrs. Peep Talk About 10 Years of the Five Hundred Pound Peep Blog and Life

  • 500 POUND PEEP INTERVIEW (6/14/20)

    500 POUND PEEP (FHPP): All right, Mr. Peep...

    MR. PEEP (MP): Yes?

    FHPP: How do you feel about Budge's 500 Hundred Peep blog, that she started 10 years ago? She was both trying to find out why she was so fat, and why she never lost weight, and she was also trying to figure out her life.

    She started her blog, after we had moved here, and after you had lost, had your job layoffs, and I know it was kind of like a psychological help tool – but what did you think of the last 10 years of 500 Hundred Pound Peep? Then I'm going to get into the no contact question.

    MP: All right. Well, it definitely did start out, mostly about the Five Hundred Pound Peep, but it's been interesting to watch it broaden from beyond that, even. So I'd say, the first half of that era is very much about what you just said, psychological self-discovery, or self-examination...

    FHPP: Figuring out the weight issues.

    MP: And, to a certain degree, self-affirmation, too, because it wasn't like the outside world was necessarily providing you with that.

    FHPP: Yeah, that's true. Especially with size acceptance being so limited.

    MP: Well...

    FHPP: Of course, I questioned aspects of size acceptance at the start, but –

    MP: But remember, even all that stuff we went into, back in Chicago, it was for a certain group of people, and they had tons of money, and they were always on the edge of the earth, all these events.

    FHPP: Yeah, I remember. That was one thing I always thought about size acceptance in Chicago. They seemed – OK, it was very Boomer dominated. That's one thing I didn't think about at the time. It was very wealthy, Boomer dominated. In fact, I don't even think NAAFA's still alive at all, in the same way. And I would even concede that they failed, not selling themselves to the new generations, or being real about our economics.

    Because, if you think about it, here's one fact. Most super-sized or even mid-sized people are not, today, able to get the jobs that people in the past were. I'm not even talking, just even disabled overweight people, like me, who are in the highest stratospheres, but I'm talking mid-sized.

    Right now, maybe 30 years ago, someone could get a decent job if they got up, went there, did their work. But now, it goes, you have to fit with the health insurance. If they see you being too expensive, they'll get rid of you. You went through that with your job in 2007, since they laid you off, the very week I went on the insurance.

    MP: Yeah.

    FHPP: So that was some of the stuff I saw. But no, I didn't relate to everything, and I thought it was a very, kind of a classist, kind of shallow (group), because everything was about dating, and they never talked about anything with life.

    MP: Yeah. Well, I always used to groan, when these things came up, because I thought, “Well, there goes a Saturday,” because, remember, I was –

    FHPP: Yeah. I remember that.

    MP: I'd think – well, especially, it was more difficult, I think, when I started working again regularly. Because I'd think, “Well, it'll take us all day to get there, it'll take us all day to get back, and I'll only have one day to cram everything in.”

    FHPP: I was always scared, because everything was so far away. And then, when we did have a car, we had no hope to going to any of that stuff. And getting rides with people was miserable, and it was just too much to ask, and there was no bus or trains that ever went anywhere they met. It was all these very wealthy suburban people. And I mean, in that way, it was kind of disappointing to me. I expected to find maybe more support, and not have it be so limited.

    FHPP: Oh, yeah. I remember, even my job was way far out, too, in the suburbs. So, yeah.

    MP: So your eight-hour day is really a 10-hour day, basically, because of all the time that you spend, shelling out to get back and forth.

    FHPP: Yeah. All right. One thing I wanted to ask about, okay –

    MP: Well, let me wrap up this thought. Then we'll get to your next point.

    FHPP: All right.

    MP: But, anyway, it's interesting to see, once you moved beyond that (initial focus), some of the other things that you got into – your various commentaries on the issues of the day, or even the artwork that you got into showing, and even then, the extended writing that you started doing. So it's all been very interesting. I've learned aspects that I don't think I would have learned otherwise, had you not actually done that.

    FHPP: Okay. All right. How do you think Five Hundred Pound Peep affected Peep being able to get diagnosed, and stay alive? You think the blog had anything to do with it?

    MP: I think it definitely helped, because people, of course, will always chime in: “Well, did you think about this, have you thought about that? Have you looked into this, have you looked into that?”

    FHPP: Yeah. Yeah, that definitely came up. Because, actually, when I was doing research on the blog, I found the picture about Lipedema. And I remember, I was in the nursing care, and they were talking about having me go to Mayo, because they knew something else was wrong.

    I remember when the head nurse came to me, and said, “We really want you to think about going to Mayo, because we watch you, we see you as you eat, we know something else is wrong.”

    And that's when I found that one illustration about Lipedema. And then, I had never heard of it, or maybe I read about it, and it kind of flew over my head years ago, when I was trying to research what was wrong. And I remember showing it to them, and that's where the explorations began, and the discussions with the doctors, and seeking out a lymph therapist. So I was able to get officially diagnosed later.

    MP: Yeah, what you did sort of reminds me, in a weird way, of what I read about (Sun Records founder) Sam Phillips doing later in life, when I read that bio.

    FHPP: Yeah?

    MP: He actually – remember, this was the pre-Internet era, so he would go to the library and get the medical papers about this condition he had, or that.

    FHPP: Yeah.

    MP: He did the research, and he would research other people's conditions that way.

    FHPP: I've done that, too. I've actually gotten people diagnosed before (laughs). I've read about so many weird medical conditions, where it's like information in my head. Does that make sense?

    MP: Yeah, I have a feeling you and Sam would probably have hit it off beautifully, on the research aspect.

    FHPP: Probably, yeah (laughs). All right, a very component of Peep's blog, that began around 2013, was when Peep decided to go contact with toxic and narcissistic relatives. She would end up, in 2017, basically going no contact with the whole family, though some cousins had ended up taking a little bit longer, but now, she ended up walking from all.

    How did you view Peep during this process, and do you think that it helped Peep in going no contact? And also, what were your own thoughts about her family, and what happened there, and how they appeared to you?

    MP: Wow, this is... Gee, I mean, we might be here all day, if we had to make a statement.
    FHPP: I know (laughs). Do your best.

    MP: I know. Well, I guess, on the first aspect of it, you seemed to be a lot more relaxed, once that took place.

    FHPP: Yeah.

    MP: I mean, towards the end of all these little visits we made, it began to feel more like a chore, than something you looked forward to. And I'd think, “Well, if all I'm really interested in is getting the latest magazines, I can certainly order them by mail, if that's really what I want to do.”

    FHPP: Yeah.

    MP: That's not enough. I mean, that particular city, there's not really a lot to look at, or do, honestly.

    FHPP: No, it was kind of a dead place. Even this little town's got a lot more. I remember, we'd go there, and she wouldn't say a word to me to the whole time. It'd get weird. She was cooking a meal for me, and giving me dirty looks. It just got too much. That got too much, too.

    MP: But even the experience of going to some of these places [bookstore in mother's town]– they started taking out the chairs, and places you could sit down. I'd think, “OK, I get it. You just want my money, and you want me to fuck off. Well, you know what? Maybe I will do just that.”

    FHPP: What do you mean, when we went to some of their gatherings?
    MP: No, when you went to the actual places – like the bookstore. Remember? They started taking all that away.

    FHPP: Oh yeah, I remember that, yeah.

    MP: It's like, “OK, you just want my money? All right, fine. I won't show up, then, because you're not making me feel welcome.”

    FHPP: Yeah.

    MP: So the store was very much an extension of the (Peep's family's) house, I thought. It was a metaphor for how they treated you.

    FHPP: What was your experience of Five Hundred Pound Peep's family? Do you think they were toxic people?

    MP: I thought they were strange, and unusual, but not necessarily in a good way.

    FHPP: Yeah. I think so, too.

    MP: Because the one thing, I think, I noticed about – well, two things, actually, about most of them. When they did talk, they mostly talked about themselves and their own pursuits. They never showed much interest in other people, really.

    FHPP: Yeah, that's true.

    MP: And, of course, they always thought they were experts, on this, that and the other, even if it was pretty clear to me that they really weren't. And that was basically – I mean, I even thought the way they treated each other was strange, honestly.

    FHPP: In what way?

    MP: Well, they didn't always seem to get along with each other, that was one thing.

    FHPP: I know. I had enough of the abuses, and stuff, but, yeah. And what did you notice in that, that they were always fighting?

    MP: It reminded me a lot of what they would say about the crime families: “This one falls in with this one, this one falls out with that one.”

    FHPP: Yeah, it was like that, exactly. It was like being in a mob family (laughs). It was like that.

    MP: That was one of the strangest parts of all of it, to me. Or maybe not. Well, it wasn't strange to them, but I'd be thinking, “Well, how far are we going to take this, exactly? And where are you going to see yourself ending up, at the end of the day?”

    FHPP: Yeah, that's true.

    MP: All right. So what was the other part of what you were asking?

    FHPP: What's that?

    MP: Well, what did I notice, and how it affected you, and I think you asked a third one.

    FHPP: Yeah. I asked, what did you think of Peep going no contact, and how it's played out?

    MP: Well, at the time, it seemed like some scorched earth, extreme sort of scorched earth step to take. But now, it would appear, maybe not so much.

    FHPP: Yeah.

    MP: Because I notice, now that Peep's a little more relaxed, and a little more centered, I guess, if that's the term we can use here.

    FHPP: Yeah.

    MP: And you don't spend all your time worrying about, “Well, what are they gonna do? What are they gonna think? How are they gonna react?”

    FHPP: Yeah, I remember all that (laughs).

    MP: Because, I would add, it's the same –

    FHPP: You don't realize this, but I always had to be on the ball, and vigilant, because they were so crazy, and abusive, that even when I was in contact, I had to be on my toes, so crazier stuff didn't happen, you know.

    MP: Because it, funnily enough, it's the same thing with toxic work environments, too. You go there thinking, “What are they gonna do to me today? How bad is this gonna be?”
    FHPP: Yeah, it was exactly like that.

    MP: Or, if you wanted to try to be a Positive Pete, you'd say, “How am I gonna get through the day without an incident?”

    FHPP: Yeah, Positive Pete (laughs).

    MP: But yeah. “How am I gonna get through, without getting scorched by them? How am I gonna make it unscathed?”

    FHPP: Yeah.

    MP: Although, that's not a very noble goal, if you think about it: “Dear Lord, please let me get through the day without some kind of useless drama.”

    FHPP: Yeah, and think about it. We only, usually, on average, went to go see them, two to four times a year. [Low-Contact]They never came (in) our direction.

    MP: No.

    FHPP: No. I was expected to call once a month, and all that.

    MP: Well, that was another thing that I got tired of. When gas prices shot back up, it was much more difficult, I remember.

    FHPP: Yeah, that was one thing, too. Them being all wealthy, they didn't know that for us to dig up 80 bucks, to go on one of these trips – that could mean no groceries for that week.

    MP: Yeah. So that became an irritant to me, at the end. I'd be thinking, “Well, you can do this yourself. You can come this way once in a great while.” Because felt, “I'm tired of putting my hands in my pockets, every single time” –

    FHPP: Yeah, that's true.

    MP: To make it work. No, I don't miss any of that. Well, and as for the magazines, I like the old ones, better, anyway.

    FHPP: Yeah, that's true (laughs).

    MP: I haven't seen that many new ones that have impressed me, to be really honest, so...

    FHPP: All right, one last question. What do you think of Peep's recent writings? Like, I wrote on Coronavirus, and what's happening there...

    MP: Well, let's see – well, you've written some stuff about religion, of course. There's that aspect.

    FHPP: Yeah, oh, yeah. What did you think of Peep's deconversion (from Christianity)?

    MP: Well, it didn't bother me, because –

    FHPP: Well, you never believed that way, so, it was like –

    MP: No, but I mean, I never said, when you did go that way (to born again Christianity), I never said, you shouldn't do it.

    FHPP: Yeah. Well, we were both married in the UU (Unitarian Universalist church), so I'm glad we're both back in the UU.

    MP: But I wasn't going to tell anybody what to do. I don't want anybody telling me what to do.

    FHPP: I'm glad I never did try to tell you what to do, either. I think, when you see a married couple split up over religion, they're trying to tell each other what to do.

    MP: Yeah. Well, but the way that that works best, I think, is everybody has their spheres of influence.

    FHPP: Yeah.

    MP: Because I don't believe in the absolute dominance model, like Fred Mertz bawling at his wife, for instance, on I Love Lucy. I don't believe in that. And I don't believe in total laissez-faire, either.

    FHPP: How do you think Peep's changed since the deconversion?

    MP: I would say, well, let's see – well, you're exploring a lot more things that probably would have been deemed to be off limits (as a Christian).

    FHPP: Yeah.

    MP: I've seen you sort of that doing a bit. And, of course –

    FHPP: Well, before Coronavirus hit, life had gotten more enjoyable, especially music-wise.

    MP: Well, exactly. Think of the dilemma, I think, that Christian kids must go through, because they know – let's say they were living in a really restrictive household, where Mom and Dad said, “Well, you can only listen to Christian rock, or Christian hip-hop, or whatever.”

    FHPP: Yeah.

    MP: And then, they see what their classmates are listening to, and that stuff seems a hell of a lot more exciting and relevant, you know?

    FHPP: I know. Well, you know, I kind of cheated on the music thing, all the time (laughs).

    MP: Yeah.

    FHPP: I was always listening to this stuff. And then, I was told, “Oh, it's all the Devil's music,” and it was messed up. I'm glad to have left all that behind.

    MP: But there are a lot of people, I think, in Christian households, who probably have to walk that tightrope.

    FHPP: Yeah, it's too much control. How did you think she got drawn into that, Peep got drawn into that? I know I'm talking about myself in the third person – how do you think she got drawn into that?

    MP: Well, it coincided when you got sick. That was a big part of it, I think.

    FHPP: Yeah. I talked about on there a little bit, that I thought it was trauma induced.

    MP: Well, usually, people –

    FHPP: And I was told, if you turned to God – you know, you think about having all that stuff we went through, with the poverty, and the illness, and stuff – I guess I thought it'd make life better, or I thought I was doing something wrong.

    MP: People are rarely going to do it when things are running well. It's usually when things are looking a little questionable, that people are more likely to be more receptive to that idea.

    FHPP: Yeah, I agree. They do prey on people, who have health problems or money problems, or they don't feel like they have control of their life. And it's kind of like, they sell a product to you, even though you might not necessarily pay them any money.

    It's like, “If you do this and that, your life will come together.” Or, at least it'll have, “Your sufferings will have purpose, or some kind of meaning to them, and it'll be brought into order.” And it's just, all false. It's falsehoods.

    MP: Well, this is the central idea of the Resurrection, that often gets overlooked. Because the implication is, “If you buy into this, it's not only about Jesus overcoming death, and rising again, you're gonna get to do this with him.”

    FHPP: Yeah.

    MP: So there's the idea of, your redemption is tied to his redemption.

    FHPP: Yeah. Yeah, I would say, that's true.

    MP: So I think that's a central tenet, for sure.

    FHPP: Well, I mean, that's probably what makes it appealing to people. All right, let's sum up. What do you think of Peep's latest articles?

    Let me try and think – I did, “They destroyed the world with Coronavirus.” I know, I'm so paranoid (laughs). I haven't been writing about them (Peep's family members) much – there's been more cultural stuff, I would say, lately.

    MP: I would say, it just shows, Peep's doing a lot of listening and reading, and engaging with the world. Peep still wants to do that, even if Peep's behind four walls, so that part of Peep didn't really change.

    FHPP: All right, that's a good summation. Just leave it at that. My voice is getting tired from talking.

    MP: Yeah. Oh, great – now, I've got a lot of fucking work to do, now, I've got to transcribe all this! (MP, FHPP both laugh loudly at this point.) But that's all right. It's work I don't mind doing, if you do it for yourself.

8 comments:

  1. Mister Peeps seems a nice supportive sort of partner and if you can laugh together after everything youve been through thats no bad thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, some of the humor may approach gallows humor lately but it's there. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry I had to laugh: wealthy family, everyone talks about themselves and they aren't aware of others, "know-it-all" talk, expectations without considerations over circumstance, walking on eggshells.
    Seen it all. But it gets worse: not only do they only talk about themselves and their "very important non-important" opinions, but they talk over each other, interrupt, lecture each other, and get into arguments over mere opinions! But we know opinions are truth in narcissistic families.
    The scapegoats in this mess are the quiet ones and yet, the head narcs insist scapegoats are the "drama-makers", the ones who commit discord, the ones who deserve to be banned. Meanwhile the in-laws look in on the sidelines and ask "WHAAATTTT!? You've got to be kidding me! Quiet so-and-so creates family drama?! Are you ALL crazy?" Well, yes, probably.
    Oh, and all the talks about trips! Who has flown here and there. Who has eaten at the 5 star restaurants in such-and-such a country. And a wild competition over it all where everyone talks over each other about all of that too. I'm waiting for some member to say they have flown to the Andromeda Galaxy so they can out-do all of them.
    And the scapegoats tend to stay quiet about that too (they either don't have the wealth or they are too busy with non-narcissistic pastimes or they work at jobs that really matter in society).
    And there again, the in-laws want to get away: "Oh, I made reservations for dinner for us at such-and-such a place, so we won't be around for the family meal tonight." It could be not enough Filet Mignon on the menu too if they are the "looking down their nose" types.
    In fact, family meals are half-attended. And if there are more at the table, there's a lot of rolling eyes, and lots of uncomfortable chair fidgeting.
    Then there's the booze. Somehow 8 bottles of hard liquor, plus 12 bottles of wine, and a couple of bottles of after-dinner liquors for 12 people all disappear in one night! Oh, you can't make this up! Their arrogant selves would not like this pointed out - only members have a right to know.
    After just 5 days together, they tell the teetotaler scapegoat to bring all the empty bottles to the recycling center and it takes up the entire back of her SUV (with the seat down and unable to look out the back window!).
    Someone has to light into someone else too on these family get-togethers, or insult someone so much that the pain is expressed as "too sick to come down to dinner", or family holidays and family vacations wouldn't seem the same if they were just peaceful! Peace and narcissistic families are like oil and water.
    You and me, Peeps, we should write a comedy about this! Except it's not too funny. Maybe a tragic-comedy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL maybe I should write more snarky Peep fiction, to describe "conversation" with the fambly. LOL yeah some of the visits were like salesman meetings as each member in turn bragging about their latest purchases. Add in the mobster flavor too, with Queen Spider starring as a female Don Corleone and various guises of "ring-kissing" cough [butt kissing]

    Yeah they all think they are experts too and science and logic won't touch those barriers, the expectations were loathsome too, what do you mean you haven't gone on vacation.....where's your suburban house lifestyle?
    I don't even think mine had what one could call "opinions" in one way, opinions take some reading, studying insight, more like Fox News parrot points. It was a Trumptard jungle. I am not around to gauge the reaction now on Herr Orange Hitler's handling of the Cornavirus crisis.

    Of course we got a rules list for one family meeting. I do regret the Christian "be nice" handcuffs on me for so many years but maybe I was spared eruptions of violence, if I had confronted them over their ignorance.
    Yeah all the scapegoats are labeled "drama queens" even if they sit there saying nothing for hours or the most boring grey rocking words, while remaining low contact. I used to be SO BORED visiting them. It was like watching paint dry. One reason we would make excuses to go visit the unfriendly mall book store in their neighborhood. I had closer conversations with people at bus stations I just met.

    Yeah the travelogues got irritating. Even one cousin, seems to have buckets of money, that are bottomless, and would post on his Facebook about trips to Iceland, Europe, etc. I noticed that one niece has gotten to do two European tours, this was before I cut all cousins and rest off Facebook.

    LOL I am waiting for one of the bragging conservative boomers around here to brag about Galaxy travel. The countries got more and more exotic.

    Yeah most scapegoats don't travel like that, no money or if they do have money are busy with work and other things beyond filling up bucket lists.
    Yeah we had the half attended meals too, Oh we have to be on this trip or this place.....more bragging. Remember how I wrote how mine said "We are so BUSY" constantly to me, about their businesses, shopping, travel and going to their second homes in warm enclaves. I don't doubt this now occurs between them still with me gone. Don't know who the new scapegoat is, having to listen to this crap. Maybe one fell down the economic ladder.
    Yeah I remember some of the drunk family members. Looking back I wonder how many were getting secretly stoned to deal with the family dinners. I was mainlining Benadryl just to tolerate them.
    Did you ever get big blow outs, we had those, where usually a soon to be ex-wife or ex girlfriend or boyfriend would have a show down with various narcissists? Sometimes some of the narcs would fight for ascendency.

    Oh we had the completely silent weirdos too, the grunting cousins, the guy I realized had to actually talk to find a wife. The ones too afraid to say anything.

    LOL we could come up with comedy gold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my God, you got me laughing: Peep Fiction! LOL!
    Oh, yea, the show-downs with in-laws with the narcissists is classic! Since they haven't been exposed to narcissism, and so much loudness over travel/money competitions and which obnoxious narc is going to ascend to the throne first, they can't believe their eyes that people actually act this way. In my experience in-laws HAVE TO barely upset the apple cart.
    There's a couple of them who are comics at these events, which is how I got the Andromeda Galaxy reference.
    "So, where do YOU go for YOUR vacations?"
    "Andromeda Galaxy."
    Laughs."But, seriously."
    Uppity British accent: "Oh, but seriously, I really like the filet of alien green there. Have you tried that? I think it's on the menu at Boar's Restaurant now. Such a popular dish that earth decided to adopt some of Andromeda's delicacies."
    "Okay. Since I can't get a straight answer out of you, what kind of music do you play?"
    Sings: "I got a pig, home in the pen, corn to feed him on, all's I needs is a pretty little girl, corn to feed her on." - those loud Hillbilly songs are great at pompous formal dinners for the wealthy! LOL!
    I should say that my husband is a great comic. He has a lot of voices too. Very similar to Robin Williams, just not as lightening fast on the take. But almost!
    He wrote a comedy for me in one sitting about the beyond-hypocritical narc family.
    Mother: "You can't criticize me! You hurt me badly over that! Only I get to criticize others! Just for that, I won't talk to you for a week!"
    Sends flying monkey over after a couple of weeks: "Why won't you talk to your mother! Don't you know she is suffering, poor thing! Why would you not talk to her! Such a bad child!"
    Ha! It really helps to put all of the crazy-making in perspective!
    You can bet narcs don't like him a bit, but he's a splash with scapegoats, lost children, even some exes! As you might guess, we aren't supposed to take comedy routines to exes who are supposed to be forgotten (so many punishments awaiting us for going against the "Don't talk to this-or-that-person" commands-on-steroids LOL). But it's a great way to find out how bad it all is, all the dirty secrets and almost criminal maneuverings that no one wants anyone to know.
    Anyway, I'd really love to see your snarky rendition. What you have written here really got me laughing.
    I think all of the pious un-christian Christianity in there would be great too.
    Narcs are such immoral moralists!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I will pick a moment in time 2009 prior to no contact and do a Peep Fiction account.

    Kind of like these...

    http://fivehundredpoundpeeps.blogspot.com/2018/05/peep-fiction-3_19.html


    Yeah I got to watch various show downs and posturings. I usually hid in the bathroom or that awful book store at the dying mall.
    LOL love the Galaxy jokes. Hmm maybe next time the town's ever traveling boomer tells me about her next trip to Greece or India, I will point to myself and saying I got to go the Adromedia Galaxy I got a lot farther then you!
    LOL about fillets of alien green. I bought some cute turbo lifters and imported Romulan ale. I always thought too making up a country may be fun, I made it to Cascadian and frolicked in some water falls. [not everyone gets those references] I should try that one too.

    LOL I could put the religion stuff in too. My family with the uber Catholic stuff. Pope staring down at us all.
    Hillbilly jokes would be funny among the snobs too. Bring them down a few pegs.

    Sounds like your husband is quite a comedian Lise, that would be fun. Loved Robin Williams, yeah he is fast. Good joke tellers can disarm the narcs. They try to do their thing, and joking about it can really thrown them off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on 10 years, Peep!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete